Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can’t solder a wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilber256

Hello Everyone, I am having problems soldering a wire on a LED cob light. I had or though I had it soldered but it keeps coming off one side. The + is sticking so far but the - side will not. Does anyone know of a conductive paste that will work and not cost more than the Chinese chip cost? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're getting a dry joint. Try heating the pad more until the solder flows.

Mike.

Some leds have more than one connection point other than the tabs that stick out the side.
However it does sound like your iron isnt powerfull enough and cools down when you try to solder.
If the connection point is tabs you could try bolting a crimp connector to the tab.

Hello Everyone, I am having problems soldering a wire on a LED cob light. I had or though I had it soldered but it keeps coming off one side. The + is sticking so far but the - side will not. Does anyone know of a conductive paste that will work and not cost more than the Chinese chip cost? Thanks in advance.

if you are soldering to an aluminum core PCB (e.g. Luxion Star or similar board), you must get the board quite hot befor solder will flow. Make sure the solder is actually flowing (wetting) the surface and not just melting. Also, clean the board of any brown residue from solder flux - use isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol). Also, clean your soldering iron tip every time you pick it up by wiping onto a damp sponge and spinning the iron as you draw the iron towards you on the sponge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back