Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

caller id

Status
Not open for further replies.
A recent scam had people on the other side of the world pretending to be the Canadian Government saying that the person here answering owes taxes and must buy thousands of dollars of Gift Cards then calling them back with the refund numbers. Many gullible old people here did it.
What? That was a scam? :)

Ron

Nothing is free. They are in business to make lots of money, not to provide inexpensive telephone service. The fee is in your monthly bill but is not shown.
Hey, that's what I was going to say!

Ron

Here telephone companies are in competition with each other. I get free calls, text, caller ID, unlimited broadband all for one monthly fee. If any telephone company tried to charge for something like caller ID they would loose too many customers.

Mike.

Here telephone companies are in competition with each other. I get free calls, text, caller ID, unlimited broadband all for one monthly fee. If any telephone company tried to charge for something like caller ID they would loose too many customers.

Mike.
Competition is a wonderful thing. :)

Ron

So how do you connect to the Internet? - assuming it's via cable?, why is that any different to a phone line?.

I moved my Internet to a wireless service a while back (as the phone connection was crap), and used a Voip phone service (which has free caller ID, and is basically 'pay as you go'). More recently I've moved back to a phone line, as FTTC became available, and while it's a long way to the cabinet and I don't get quite as high a speed as the wireless service, it's unlimited and slightly cheaper. It obviously comes with a phone connection, but I've never had a phone plugged in, and don't even know what the number is - I've simply continued using my Voip phone. If I need to ring my ISP for anything, I'll plug a phone in, as calls to the ISP are free from that number.
At home I connect over the phone line and dsl and the phone line is still working for calls, but if I were to move somewhere even if I again used dsl, I would not activate the calls on the line. It just seems unnecessary.

I have a home phone line because it was free with my package. Never received a call and don't even know the number.

Mike.

I guess in Canada you guys have fewer annoyance calls because Caller ID, while it is included in my land line and cell service I would gladly pay for. The elimination of annoyance calls alone makes it worth it down here.

Ron

Here in the sticks, I have AT&T. Caller ID is extra, and even if you have it you still get telemarketer calls. Your saying you get no telemarketer/annoyance calls when you have caller ID?

Here in the sticks, I have AT&T. Caller ID is extra, and even if you have it you still get telemarketer calls. Your saying you get no telemarketer/annoyance calls when you have caller ID?
No, I am saying I don't answer when I get calls from unfamiliar numbers or what appear to be spoofed numbers. Anyone who calls me has the option of leaving a message and 90% of the unknown calls we get don't. Polls are a PITA, especially around election time.

Ron

I've got a call blocker, it blocks a load of stored numbers, numbers with no caller ID, and any foreign numbers - you can configure various options, and add numbers to the banned list.

I have Time Warner / Spectrum internet here. They provide a phone as a part of the package.

Since it's VOIP, the cable box blocks out quite a bit. But once in a while, a robo-call will sneak through.

Reloadron: I do the same thing here. I look at the Caller ID. If I don't recognize it, I don't pick it up.

The call centers in Pakistan and India "phish" local telephone numbers then caller display does not say they are on the other side of the world.
yeah, the worst ones are the bots that try to make conversation. they always have a different "local" number on the caller ID, which makes it difficult to block. after one of these bots called me daily and continuously ignored my response to "dial 1 to be removed", i had a thought one day "they're using speech recognition AND an SQL database.... what could possibly go wrong????" it turns out that with some of the callbots if you answer with the right words, the line goes quiet, and hangs up after about 10 seconds, and they stop calling you.

What is really wrong is they now let telemarketers call cell phones. They used to immune to telemarketers.

What is really wrong is they now let telemarketers call cell phones. They used to immune to telemarketers.
Actually the real problem is they let telemarketers live.

Ron

There are millions of those telemarketers over there, that is their job, they do not know any other job. It is not fair to blow them up, just ignore them instead.

i want caller id circuit which works on telephone line. the circuit must be stand alone type which can be connected whenever required to the telephone line

Stand alone Caller ID Units are not easily available anymore. You can look for resale units.
Why not use a small telephone instrument? They all come with Caller ID support.

Stand alone Caller ID Units are not easily available anymore. You can look for resale units.
Why not use a small telephone instrument? They all come with Caller ID support.
I have no idea where you are and they are not available but I can buy any of a dozen from Amazon for less than $13 USD. Many for under $10 USD and it starts with a simple Google of "caller id display units". If the line provides the data they display it.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back