Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

caller id

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want caller id circuit which works on telephone line. the circuit must be stand alone type which can be connected whenever required to the telephone line

I KNOW ITS READILY AVAILABLE. BUT DEVELOPING AND DESIGNING WILL BE CREATIVE IDEA.

Last edited:
It will be cheaper to buy a ready made unit than to build one. Also equipment to be connected to the telephone network must be type approved. (At least that is the case in the UK) Here is one being sold on Ebay but there are many more.

Les.

Like Les said, there is a add on the company does to your line that allows caller ID, just having a phone or something with a read out doesn't automatically make it work, at least not here in the USA. Your country may be different though.

All my home phones have a display but none show caller ID because I refuse to pay the telephone company for features for month after month after month for years.

Wow, I thought caller ID was standard. Didn't realize some countries were still in the stone age.

Mike.

One has to pay extra for caller ID, it does not come by default in many areas (depends on carrier). Regardless, if you think it is included in your service, you are paying for it in the monthly fee anyway, hidden in the cost...

That really depends on the country. Here in Czechia (central europe...) caller ID on landlines is automatic for everyone since about 2005 I guess. Other places I am sure will differ, but when you as a provider got all digital POTS exchanges I don´t see why you would want to charge premium for something that doesn´t cost you a dime.

I pay a monthly fee for internet, phone and mobile. Everything is standard. Do you pay extra to have text messages? Voice mail?

Mike.

Wow, I thought caller ID was standard. Didn't realize some countries were still in the stone age.
Mike.
In Canada, Caller ID has a monthly fee and even Touch Tone on a landline also has a fee. For many years I refused to pay the Touch Tone fee So I dialed with rotary dial pulses (on my modern pushbutton phones) then switched to free Touch Tone for banking and for navigation.

I don't need Caller ID. I answer and swear at the guys with a strong accent and little girl's voice in a call center in Pakistan or India selling Duck Kleening.

Years ago the caller ID was included with our cable TV package. I see it on the phones as well as on the TV (when the TV is on). It's also standard on our cell phones. If the caller is not recognized they can leave a message. No message no call back. Anyway, depending on your location you should be able to just get a phone with a display for caller ID. I guess in some locations you pay more for the feature or service. I never gave it much thought. Additionally just like an email a caller ID can be spoofed which is why if I don't know you, leave a message.

Ron

I am so glad I don´t have a landline and never will, unless I am in a place where it is the only option for internet to have an xdsl connection or whatever comes next.

Assuming you have multiple telephone providers? you'll probably find that some of them charge extra for caller ID, if you specifically want caller ID (and really who wouldn't?) then you need to make sure you pick one who provides it for free, or be prepared to pay for it.

The UK's largest telephone company BT, only made caller ID free last October (2018), because I added it for an elderly neighbour.

I am so glad I don´t have a landline and never will, unless I am in a place where it is the only option for internet to have an xdsl connection or whatever comes next.

So how do you connect to the Internet? - assuming it's via cable?, why is that any different to a phone line?.

I moved my Internet to a wireless service a while back (as the phone connection was crap), and used a Voip phone service (which has free caller ID, and is basically 'pay as you go'). More recently I've moved back to a phone line, as FTTC became available, and while it's a long way to the cabinet and I don't get quite as high a speed as the wireless service, it's unlimited and slightly cheaper. It obviously comes with a phone connection, but I've never had a phone plugged in, and don't even know what the number is - I've simply continued using my Voip phone. If I need to ring my ISP for anything, I'll plug a phone in, as calls to the ISP are free from that number.

I have a "bundle discount" of TV, internet and home phone" from my cable TV provider. They have a fee of $6.00 per month for Caller ID that I will not pay.
They have no extra charge for touch tone.

I have a "bundle discount" of TV, internet and home phone" from my cable TV provider. They have a fee of $6.00 per month for Caller ID that I will not pay.
They have no extra charge for touch tone.
I guess in Canada you guys have fewer annoyance calls because Caller ID, while it is included in my land line and cell service I would gladly pay for. The elimination of annoyance calls alone makes it worth it down here.

Ron

The call centers in Pakistan and India "phish" local telephone numbers then caller display does not say they are on the other side of the world.
There is a second or two delay so it is obvious they are calling long distance.
A recent scam had people on the other side of the world pretending to be the Canadian Government saying that the person here answering owes taxes and must buy thousands of dollars of Gift Cards then calling them back with the refund numbers. Many gullible old people here did it.

Yes, the government is going to require payment in gift cards or Google Play cards. They also say you will be electronically tracked by your cell phone while you go to the closest store to purchase them.

I can't remember ever paying for caller ID in Australia since I moved here in 2003. AFAIA it's always been free.

Mike.

Nothing is free. They are in business to make lots of money, not to provide inexpensive telephone service. The fee is in your monthly bill but is not shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back