Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CA3080 biasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built a circuit:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/12/Syntom-2.pdf

and it works really nice after a lot of reworking :D

I was wondering though why the designer biased pin 4 of the CA3080 at 1.6v instead of ground as per the datasheet?

Neil.

hi Neil,
Do you mean pin #5, the biassing pin.???
Its a split 9V supply, so with the 1k8 and 8k2 divider connected across 4.5V, you have approx +0.8V on pin 5.

This voltage is in line with datasheet of ~+0.7V for linear operation , rather than when used as Gating.

Its an awful drawing to read.

No Eric, i am refering to pin4, the data sheet says this is ground, they have it biased at 1.6V via the 8K2 and the 1K8....the circuit works fine, i am just curious :)

Neil.

No Eric, i am refering to pin4, the data sheet says this is ground, they have it biased at 1.6V via the 8K2 and the 1K8....the circuit works fine, i am just curious :)

Neil.

hi Neil,
Have drawn the circuit as shown in the designers document, using LTspice, so that I could run a simulation in order to find out why the divider is on the CA3080 0v pin.

I get a better result when pin 4 is connected directly to 0V.??

It looks as though the designer has decided to lift the CA3080 0V pin to +0.8v in order to change the effect of the VCA control, why I don't know.?

Perhaps it sounds better, just a subjective modification.?

NOTE: All controls shown as fixed resistors.
E

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    48.4 KB · Views: 157
  • AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Thanks Eric, that looks interesting and does appear to make a difference, i'm not going to mess with it though as it sounds fine to me.

thanks

Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back