Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AB output stage biasing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky-Luka

Hi all
I've tried the output stage of an amplifier with +-14V output swing and 10ohm resistive load.
For project reasons I have to use those two transistor as output transistor.
I thought that the current source value just needed to be greater than the maximum base current at emitter current=1.4A (peak current value).
The beta gain of those transistor are 66 and 73 (from LTSpice parameters) so I did Ie_peak/66=Ib_peak=21mA.
I left 4mA for the Vbe multiplier and I thought I was ok.
With a 25 mA current source I get a lot of distortion.
Rising current source value to 75mA improves the distortion a lot!
I don't understand how I can choose that value. Just trying to increasing it and looking at the result?
Is there a way to improve this circuit working the biasing?

Attachments

• 12-29-output_circuit-simple.asc
    2.2 KB · Views: 85

Attachments

• good3.png
    good3.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 104
  • bad3.png
    bad3.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 95
I'm just going to make a comment or "food for thought" so to speak.

Q3 is turned on too much. You do need some adjustability and you want
about 1.2V between E and C of Q3 and Q3 should be thermally coupled to the output 3055's.

The simple version I have used have been two diodes and two resistors.

Search for Vbe multiplier

You should be able to short E and C of Q3 and get crossover distortion.

LTspice shows Bf = 73 in the .model for the 2N3055, but that is not at 1.4 amps. Drops considerably at that current. 30 is more likely.

And Lucky-Luka, can you keep everything in one thread so I don't end up answering something twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back