Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biasing Voltages and What circuits do you have to do biasing for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What circuits or tests do you have to do biasing for?

Can you give examples or list circuits that you have biased or done biasing for?

I don't get the difference between a DC voltage and a Biasing voltage, what is the difference?

When measuring voltages with a DVM meter, how do you know if its a DC voltage or a Biasing voltage? how can you tell?

I always thought a biasing voltage was when you use an oscilloscope if there was a DC offset voltage or an Waveform AC or DC riding ontop of a DC voltage that the DC voltage was the biasing voltage

What circuits or tests do you have to do biasing for?

Can you give examples or list circuits that you have biased or done biasing for?

I don't get the difference between a DC voltage and a Biasing voltage, what is the difference?

When measuring voltages with a DVM meter, how do you know if its a DC voltage or a Biasing voltage? how can you tell?

I always thought a biasing voltage was when you use an oscilloscope if there was a DC offset voltage or an Waveform AC or DC riding ontop of a DC voltage that the DC voltage was the biasing voltage
Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biasing

The reasons for establishing a bias in a circuit are many, but to answer your basic question, the bias is, indeed, a DC voltage. The fact that it is called a biasing voltage is simply to differentiate it from, say, an amplficaiton tube plate supply voltage, or a chip supply voltage, for example: same DC (although consideably different voltage levels), just a different use.

Once you've read the wikipedia description, please return and ask any further questions you may have.

Last edited:
But how do you know when looking at a schematic or at the nodes on the schematic that it's going to be a Biasing voltage and not a DC voltage

Using a DVM meter , it doesn't tell you if it's a biasing voltage or a normal DC voltage , so how can you know or tell?

Is every Biasing voltage a DC offset voltage with a AC or DC waveform riding on top of a DC voltage? it this the only type of biasing voltage there is

Can you guys please list circuits that you did any type of Biasing for or bench checked a Biasing voltage

You're thinking to hard about this.

Using a DVM meter , it doesn't tell you if it's a biasing voltage or a normal DC voltage , so how can you know or tell?

1. A DC voltage is a DC voltage, irrespective of how it it used. Your DVM cannot and will not ever tell you how the voltage value it is displaying is being used. That is for you to determine.

Is every Biasing voltage a DC offset voltage...

2. Generally, yes. However, there are AC biasing voltages used, for instance, in tape recorders for tape erasure puposes. But for the moment, forget about those. Think of biasing as purely a DC value.

...with a AC or DC waveform riding on top of a DC voltage?...

3. Look up the definitions for DC and AC. By defintion, DC is not a waveform. But, yes, an AC waveform, with DC biasing, is riding on top of (or superimposed on) the DC bias level.

... it this the only type of biasing voltage there is

See "2." above.

But how do you know when looking at a schematic or at the nodes on the schematic that it's going to be a Biasing voltage and not a DC voltage

Once again, you must discard the notion that a "bias" voltage is somehow different from a "DC" voltage. BOTH are defined as DC. How they are used is what's different in the circuit. That's all.

As for indentifying, from a schematic, a biasing circuit, you must first understand all of the above.

If I may ask, did you visit the site I posted concerning "Biasing"? If so, may I ask you to tell us, in your own words, what did that definition tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back