Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Burning off" 9V at 6A

Status
Not open for further replies.

truenoteno

I have a 312 watt switchmode power supply that i would like to make use of.

It supplies upto 48V at 6amps.
I would lke to use an LM338 voltage regulator but the max input voltage is 40v. How could I chew up about 9V at 6amps ?
I could only think of having about 13 6A rectifiers but that is too expensive, takes up room and leaves more room for error.

thanks

Do the power regulation in steps - take the 48 to 40 volts or so then go from there. My recollection is that the 338 is limited to 5 amps max - as long as you don't exceed power dissapation ratings. It would seem that you could "wrap" a power transistor or two around an LM317 - see datasheet for ideas on that.

how about using a 2n3055 transistor hooked with a zenner diode and another transistor. since the regulation is done with the LM then you dont need to have 40V regulated.
i guess that another solution is to buy 13 diodes rated at 6 amps, or 7 bridge rectifiers.....wich might be cheaper than the diodes.....
i think that the first solution is the best.....
what do you think?

Pre-regulator
Transistor Q1 can be any power NPN similar to a 2N3055 or MJE3055.
Transistors Q2 & Q3 could be TIP31C's, I happen to have a lot of them.
Or Q1 & Q2 could be a power Darlington instead.
Resistor R1 should be a 2 watt package.
Zener diode D1 sets the output voltage and could be lower.
Mount the transistors close by on the same heatsink as your LM338 [electrically insulated].
That way the thermal overload circuit in the LM338 will protect them also.

Attachments

• preregulator.jpg
    preregulator.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 656
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back