Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building an ULTRA sensitive PC MIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way,

The manager thought the circuit was great :)

it was also my lucky day...

It turns out the store was getting rid of a large portion of their electronic components..

Long story short: I struck an under the table deal with the manager and paid $20 for over $200 worth of parts..

-100's of capacitors
- chokes, coils, and inductors
- 20 buzzers and chimes
- LEDs
- switches
- lamps
- bayonet holders
- fans
- stepper motors

It was comparable to christmas.. sorting through a huge box of brand new parts... picking whatever I felt like...

I have a question about 2 lights I grabbed..

They are XEXON STROBE bulbs and have 3 leads.. I have no clue how to hook them up!

Later
Peter Wadley

Oh yeah forgot to mention...

He gave me a 12v 200ma wall wart and said he didnt want to be switching 9v batteries...

So I knew right away I would need to deal with the buzzing that comes with these pieces of S***

When I first plugged it in, the circuit was unusable because of the noise.. so I ran it through a 7809ct 9v regulator.. this cleaned it up quite a bit but it still was humming..

I then added a .15uf bypass capacitor and it now sounds completely clean.

Is this the proper method of dealing with the hum?

Did I choose the proper size capacitor.. is there a formula (seems like there is formula for everthing!)..

Thanks again

Look at Xenon Flash Circuit in Google. There are many links to circuits and articles.

The hum from the cheap power supply was connected directly to the input of the opamp then it was amplified 101 times.
Reduce the hum with a resistor-capacitor filter before it reaches the opamp's input like this:

Attachments

• preamp filter.PNG
    preamp filter.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 753
Is it the standard practice to have a small cap (.1uf) and a large cap (100uf) for bypass filtering loud supplies?

I seem to always see .1uf and 100uf..

Does the .1uf rectify small changes in voltage whereas the 100uf rectify the larger change/waves of voltage change?

hope my that makes sense :|

Edit: Does the .1uf cap that is on the opamp go to ground on the other side, thanks!

100uF is a good filter for low frequencies. It is electrolytic and is made by winding an insulated foil around and around that adds inductance which makes it a poor filter of high frequencies.
A 0.1uF ceramic disc capacitor has low inductance so it is a good filter for high frequencies. Many voltage regulator ICs have a 0.22uF ceramic disc capacitor in parallel with a big electrolytic capacitor at their input.
A 1000pF ceramic disc capacitor is a good filter for very high radio frequencies. Many radio circuits have three capacitors in parallel across their suppliy with the three different values.

One of the smaller modules I have for my prototyping system consists of a 100uF, .1uF, and .001uF cap in parallel mounted in a paint pot. I use it whenever I'm testing any kind of audio amplifying circuit.

Hi all:

I'm responding to this rather old thread, since I need a good electret AGC preamp. After much checking, I think I'll go with the circuit developed by Audioguru in post # 15.

I have developed a small circuit board (with the modifications shown), using the TL071. I'm ready to etch the board, but don't want to make something no better than what I presently have. I am interfacing the mic to a speech recognition chip, (HM2007), and have been using a small pre amp I made using a LM358, which works OK, but does not have AGC. I'm not looking for "super sensitivity", just something that will allow me to speak with slightly different voice levels. As I said, the circuit I am using works OK, but it's hard to speak in a consistent volume, which can sometimes result in recognition errors. I plan on using a POT for R3 (100K fixed resistor in the circuit as it is shown), to adjust and "tune" the output to the HM2007. The Mic was also picking up a lot of electrical interference before I added a shielded cable, and that seemed to cure most of those problems. I have to add a 9 volt regulator to the circuit, since I do not have that voltage available. I will heavily filter and de-couple the regulator part, so hopefully that will not present problems.

Just looking for any other advice from the experts. Digital I can handle, but I'm not the best at analog.

Ken

I selected a TL071 opamp because it is low noise, has very low distortion and has a bandwidth that is high enough for hi-fi audio.
An LM358 is designed for low power so it has a lot of noise (hisssss), a lot of crossover distortion and a bandwidth narrow like a telephone.
An opamp does not need a regulated power supply. Filter its reference voltage instead with a resistor and capacitor.

Hi all:

I'm responding to this rather old thread, since I need a good electret AGC preamp. After much checking, I think I'll go with the circuit developed by Audioguru in post # 15.

I have developed a small circuit board (with the modifications shown), using the TL071. I'm ready to etch the board, but don't want to make something no better than what I presently have. I am interfacing the mic to a speech recognition chip, (HM2007), and have been using a small pre amp I made using a LM358, which works OK, but does not have AGC. I'm not looking for "super sensitivity", just something that will allow me to speak with slightly different voice levels. As I said, the circuit I am using works OK, but it's hard to speak in a consistent volume, which can sometimes result in recognition errors. I plan on using a POT for R3 (100K fixed resistor in the circuit as it is shown), to adjust and "tune" the output to the HM2007. The Mic was also picking up a lot of electrical interference before I added a shielded cable, and that seemed to cure most of those problems. I have to add a 9 volt regulator to the circuit, since I do not have that voltage available. I will heavily filter and de-couple the regulator part, so hopefully that will not present problems.

Just looking for any other advice from the experts. Digital I can handle, but I'm not the best at analog.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I thought you needed a preamp with AGC? This circuit has no AGC--it's just an electret preamp. It is a nice sounding and very sensitive little unit but yeah--no AGC at all. The circuit you're talking about was my first try at an electret preamp which I posted a few years back and Audioguru corrected (see Peter's link to the original thread). I just never got around to posting the corrected circuit after Audioguru told me which bits I'd stuffed up. :)

Regards,

Torben

Last edited:
Torben:

Thanks - - - after I looked more closely at the circuit I realized it was alost identical to the one I used with the LM358 and yes, I definitely want something with AGC.

I've been surfing till my eyes age glazing, and have found a few circuits with AGC, (not sure how good they are) but now am considering a MAXIM 9814 - it looks like it would work. Only problem is the surface mount package, but then it's about time I started trying my hand on making PC boards for them.
After I digest some of this for a while I'll decide what to do hopefully.

Ken

On second thought, after looking more closely at the dimensions of the MAX chip, there is no way I could use it - I don't have a microscope !

Ken

Look in Google for Audio Compressor Circuit. There used to be NE570, NE571 and NE572 ICs that worked well but they are obsolete. Most discrete circuits use a Jfet to attenuate signals that are too loud.

Audioguru:

I managed to locate some NE571's on eBay, might order some - but am leaning more to using the circuit using a TL072 with the FET and associated components. The only problem (for me) would be the split 15 V supply. Since this is being added to an existing circuit, I do not have the liberty of split supplies. Is it possible to use that design with a single supply?

Ken

Audioguru:

I managed to locate some NE571's on eBay, might order some - but am leaning more to using the circuit using a TL072 with the FET and associated components. The only problem (for me) would be the split 15 V supply. Since this is being added to an existing circuit, I do not have the liberty of split supplies. Is it possible to use that design with a single supply?

Ken

Hi Ken,

When you say ". . .the circuit using a TL072 with the FET and associated components", what circuit do you mean?

You can indeed use a TL072 on a single supply--that's what the circuit from post #15 does, for instance (well, with a TL071 which I had in there but but that's just half a TL072*). In fact there's a sticky on this very topic which includes Audioguru's famous diagram explaining how it's done: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/basic-opamp-circuits.35258/

Do you already have a schematic for the AGC portion?

* -- Truth be told I wound up using a 5532 which is why there was a compensation cap on the op-amp--Audioguru crossed that cap off the diagram though since a TL071/81 doesn't need it.

Cheers,

Torben

Here is a hard limiter circuit that uses a single supply voltage. It might not work if the Jfet is at its spec limits. I would use a Jfet with tighter limits like a 2N5485. This circuit is not optimised for low distortion.

Attachments

• hard limiter circuit.PNG
    hard limiter circuit.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 3,178
Last edited:
My circuit is not working : (

dear audio guru,

i have made this circuit as per schematics with TL071 and ur modifications, completed last night. Circuit seems working ok ass pre amp but it is not sensitive as i have to eat mic to get sound from my amplifier.

Circuit images are attached here with if you plz shed some light on it...

Basically i want to use it with my computer so that it can pic my voice commands from some distance but it is not working in that way : (

can i use simple a cell phone mic or a hand free mic in palce of this whole circuit.. i am thinking in this way ... but this circuit sould work what you say :)

thanks in advnace...

Attachments

• S6303578.JPG
    S6303578.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 724
  • S6303582.JPG
    S6303582.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 498
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back