Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building a usb external drive case..... and how to wire it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

velosity1

hello everyone :) Im a new member here and I was wondering if you experts can help me out on a project Im working on......

well Im trying to build a external usb case for a pc hard drive

now to do this I need to know how the pinout is on a ide cable and a usb cable and wire them together so I get one cord

and all I have to do is plug the ide cable into the hard drive and the usb end into the computer.... and then the pinout for a power suply for a hard drive and a 3 promt plug and wire those together so I get one cord,

then make a nice looking case and stick the hard drive into it and its done yaaaaa hoooooo:)

heres a picture of the cables I want to make **broken link removed**

then maybe hook up a LED to the case and im all set

if anyone can help me out or knows a website and how to do this , dont be affraid to post

tnx and hope to hear from you soon......

ciao

velosity

You've already posted a link to what you want - just buy it from there!.

It's not actually a 'cable' it's an 'interface', this contains all the electronics to provide an interface between IDE and USB.

I dont like buying it I just wont to make it for the fun of the project so if you can help please post tnx

velosity

You're missing the import of what Nigel posted...

The IDE interface is a multi-pin interface with various signals delivered to/from the various pins. The standard desktop (3.5") IDE interface has 40 pins plus 4 additional power pins in a separate connector (+12VDC, +5VDC, & 2@0VDC); laptop (2.5") HDD interfaces are 44-pin and include the power (+5VDC & 0VDC) pins within a single connector.

The USB interface is a 4-pin interface -- +5VDC, 0VDC, +DATA, & -DATA.

The device to which you posted the link includes special convertor circuitry which accomplishes translation between the IDE interface and the USB bus. This is much more than a simple "wire adapter", as the multiple IDE pins must be monitored and their signals encoded for transmission on the USB bus and decoded upon removal from the USB bus.

If you are interested in reading further, look **broken link removed** for pinout info, and here for IDE operational info. The site at second link will also provide some USB operational info if you look for it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back