Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck Boost with 555

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before spicing the booster I'm working on (with a 555 oscillator) I wanted to spice the simplest possible SMPS booster I could find: http://soundation.blogspot.com/2012/07/very-simple-5v-to-65v-dc-boost.html

I replaced the MOSFET with the MPSA42 I'm using, and the circuit seems to work in spice, switching at about 40 kHz and with an open-circuit output voltage a bit above 80 V. I'd like to breadboard it and need advice on a suitable PNP to use. Here's a plot of the voltages seen by the PNP:
**broken link removed**
Node 2 is the emitter, 1 is base and 5 is collector. Those Vbe spikes up to the full output voltage look a bit worrisome. Would a suitable high-voltage PNP BJT tolerate them?

Edit: this circuit has awful efficiency and is of no practical interest. Sorry for the noise.

Last edited:
An mpsa92 is a complement for the mpsa42.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back