Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Resource icon

Brushless dc motor speed controller 2013-02-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
alec_t submitted a new article:

Brushless DC Motor Speed Controller - A simple, cheap, BLDC motor controller using readily-available components is described.
Most previ

A simple, cheap, BLDC motor controller using readily-available components is described.
Most previously-published speed controllers for BLDC motors either (1) reduce the supply voltage across the motor by a linear or asynchronous PWM control method, or (2) require access to the individual coils of the motor to vary the coil drive, and involve either dedicated ICs or microcontrollers together with optical or back-emf rotor-position sensing arrangements. Here is a simple alternative, using what...

Read more about this article...

Again... Very nice work Alec_t.

I would just like to highlight to any on lookers that this circuits primary advantages over simpler circuits of similar efficiency (PWM circuits) is this circuits synchronous nature. With synchronous control, one is never supplying a highly noisy "out of step" signal to a motor that will have an internal frequency of it's own. This prevents any miscommutations inside the motor that could potentially be damaging, especially for larger brushless motors.

It really is quite cleaver. As I had said, this gets you inside the motor without having to open it. It reminds me of smart card hacking through power use analysis. Very cool trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back