Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broken VCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjaguar13

I got a broken VCR from my brother. He just got a DVD player and doesn't need it anymore. How hard would this be to fix? Is there any good parts I could take from it? Should I just throw it away? There is a tape still in it, but I can't get it out.

What is wrong with it?
-no picture
-no sound
-is it completely dead

Without a schematic it would be hard to troubleshoot
You could just take it apart and junk it

You could just take it apart and see what you find. I took one apart and found quite a few electrolytic capacitors, some motors, a couple of gears, and a few IC's. There was also quite a few sets of bus wire.

Open it and plug into outlet and watch it what happen.In this case, if PSU have health, the CCU try moving the mechanical parts.(few round to left and right) If the cassette not ejected, possible failure the position-switch.(the CCU don't know the mech. position)
When You don't want repair it, canibalize the complete tuner, it can work with monitor as a normal TV. VHF or UHF modulator also good part...
And many more good parts for experimenting....

If it's completely dead then there is something wrong the power supply.

If it were me, I'd take all of the parts I could find. If it's busted, and you can't get anything to work, then it still serves many purposes:

1. Desoldering practice.
2. Something to do when your board and have nothing else to do.
3. All of the many many parts that could be very usefull.

There could be many parts that are rare or expensive, that you could get out of it. But one thing... be carefull. Even if it's unpluged, capacitors can stay charged for a long time, and could pack a powerfull punch. So if you deside to "hollow it out", then have fun. If you deside to try and fix it, good luck :D but I can't help you. :lol: I've had broken VCRs that to this day are just sitting out in my garage. So I can't help you in fixing it.

There are lots of electronic goodies that you can scavenge inside a VCR but if you are interested in fixing it heres a few ideas ;

When a cassett gets stuck or jammed in a VCR, a Syscon chip will detect motor over current in the cassett basket drive and will shut the VCR down. This is a safety feature. Removing the cassett will usaully fix the problem.

Do not force the tape from the VCR cassett basket as this can damage the basket drive gear assembly. Remove the housing from the VCR and back the tape out of the drive by manually moving the basket gears.

When a tape gets stuck in a VCR this usually means theres a mechanical problem with the cassett basket . A slipped or broken geartooth can cause alighnment problems and a warped housing or bent track guide can cause the same thing.

Or you could simply trash the whole thing and scavenge what you can. :wink:

Net.

SALVAGE IT MAN!!
WHAT DO YOU WANT???
Stepper motors
Motors
Resistors
Capacitors ->Chunky to tiny
Transformers
LEDs
Wire
Connectors
Switches
Solenoids
IR Receivers
BIT more DIFFICULT (GOOD desoldering skills required)
Transistors, IC's

SALVAGE THE TECHNO WASTE ---- SAVE OUR PLANET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back