Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bright Lamps for Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow

Hi

I am trying to build a sign with two lamps: one white and one red.

I have been trying to use an LED (the 5mm one seems brighter than the 10mm one). Can someone please recommend how to do this? I would like to have the light be as bright as possible and at least 25mm in size.

Thank you in advance.
a.

Hi

I have an led (super bright) and I would like to make it into a "torch". i.e. say its real dimension is 5mm in diameter a person standin say 10meters away, I want him to see it as say a 30mm or even a 40mm diameter light (be it white or red).

Would you have any suggestions on this?

Thank you
a.

How do you want the illumination? From behind the sign or to be reflected from the sign?

You can get reflectors for LEDs... So I have heard... but have never seen one myself. Moreover, LEDs have an angle of viewing... 15deg or 30deg or so...

For your application, wider the better as you can get the intensity by placing the LED closer.

You can use the LED + reflector like a battery powered torch and paste a translucent sign on the glass...

Good Luck.

Hi

I want to have the bright light attached to behind the board shining out. ie people looking at the sign board will be able to see the light.

Could you please tell me
(a) the name of the led reflectors
(b) will any led work with these reflectors?

Thank you
a.

funny enough i seen the insides of those pedestrian crossings attached to lamp posts. All they have to illuminate the "WAIT" sign is what looked like a 60W bulb powered from the mains supply. Not saying you have to adopt the same thing but maybe depending on your application you could use the mains to power some lighting. Most signs ive seen, outdoor ones anyway are wired into the mains.

just a thought

Andy

Hi

I can use the main power- but I dont know how to implement a switch that is controlled by a microcontroller?

Thank you
a.

arrow said:
Hi

I can use the main power- but I dont know how to implement a switch that is controlled by a microcontroller?

Either use a relay, or a triac - you can also buy solid state relays, which are basically a triac and the associated circuitry.

arrow said:
Hi

I want to have the bright light attached to behind the board shining out. ie people looking at the sign board will be able to see the light.

Could you please tell me
(a) the name of the led reflectors
(b) will any led work with these reflectors?

Thank you
a.

A) I would think they are called LED reflectors

B) You must match the size of the LED with the reflector as the reflector slips over the LED like in the every day flashlight.

some searching on yahoo came to this

https://www.theledlight.com/led-specs.html

heres a whole LED/Reflector assembly (expensive)
https://www.theledlight.com/panelmount.html

some cluster LED panels
https://www.theledlight.com/led-assemblies.html

this guys got an Idea
**broken link removed**

I know this maybe an old thread but I got similar problem. I really need a tutorial for this. :(

What exactly are you trying to do? Exactly means in detail so people can understand what you want and provide workable solutions.

Ron

I think that to illuminate a 40 x 40 mm area uniformly an array (4 x 4 ?) of ordinary 5mm LEDs behind frosted plastic/glass sheet would be better than a single LED. They're cheap enough, and possibly cheaper than a LED + reflector. A simple wall-wart, plus current-limiting resistor(s), could power them.

I know this maybe an old thread but I got similar problem. I really need a tutorial for this.
I can't even understand what the problem was. Can you explain in full detail?

Last edited:
I know this maybe an old thread but I got similar problem. I really need a tutorial for this. :(

Hi euhero987. Welcome to ETO :)

It probably would have been better to start a new thread, rather than adding onto one that is 5 years old. If you go to the main forum page, select the correct forum, and click the button "create new thread", I'm sure you'll be better off.

Good luck!
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back