Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breadboard Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I remember reading a thread a few weeks ago where someone submitted an image of a breadboard demonstrating some feature.

What caught my attention, was that the designer had included a "daughter" circuit board to the breadboard which looked like its purpose was to provide a regulated 5 volts aligned perfectly to the positive and negative rails of the breadboard circuit.

I remember thinking thats a clever idea, but I didnt bookmark it and now I can't find it.

Does this ring any bells?

Thanks

Mark

UTMonkey said:
Hi All,

I remember reading a thread a few weeks ago where someone submitted an image of a breadboard demonstrating some feature.

What caught my attention, was that the designer had included a "daughter" circuit board to the breadboard which looked like its purpose was to provide a regulated 5 volts aligned perfectly to the positive and negative rails of the breadboard circuit.

I remember thinking thats a clever idea, but I didnt bookmark it and now I can't find it.

Thanks

Mark

I don't know if it's the same one but I've used this one on one of my breadboards. Works fine.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

UTMonkey said:
Thats it!!!

Thanks, it looks quite simple, it could be my "first" soldering project.
Those are very handy. I have 3 or 4 of them.

While you're ordering from HVW, get yourself one of **broken link removed** as well. Why build that MAX232 circuit over and over, eating up a chunk of your breadboard every time. Just buy one and plug it in when you need it.

Thanks Futz, sounds like a good idea.

I would like to tinker with RS232, but as I said in a previous thread it would be tricky as my laptop doesnt have any serial ports.

Mark

UTMonkey said:
I would like to tinker with RS232, but as I said in a previous thread it would be tricky as my laptop doesnt have any serial ports.
Then consider giving your lappy a serial port with one of **broken link removed** as well. Slightly expensive, but coming from HVWtech you can be sure that it has been tested for use in programming. You won't have to try multiple converters until you find one that actually does work.

I own that one and used it for a while for programming/debugging a 68HC912 board. No problems whatsoever. It works great in Linux as well - you just have to remove the braille driver. An odd quirk for sure - what the hell is a braille driver doing being installed by default? And why does it break the USB-serial converter driver? :confused: But I digress...

Last edited:
felis said:
You can also use this-> https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=718 . They have it with different USB connectors.
Hey, that's a handy little board! Sparkfun has so many nice products (I remember when they first started - they had a crappy little site with like one or two products). One day I'm gonna get a fatty order together for them.

The reason I was pushing HVW products is that UTMonkey was already going to be ordering from them anyway (besides the fact that they're a good company with good products).

Theirs doesn't hit both bus rows, so you still have to jumper across. Might be handy in some cases, but mostly I want both bus rows powered identically. In their favor theirs does 3.3V as well as 5V.

Last edited:
UTMonkey said:
Hi All,

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

Think this might be usful for you-
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/present.php?p=BEE-1-PowerSupply

Simple and effective with photos to help. :)

wombweller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back