Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boosting output to run LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0pP8uZz

I have recently coded a LED fader, Which fades LED's (Light emitting diodes)

The PIC im using can support max 5.5v power source.. And i must connect + to the pins on the PIC. And i can only run about 8 LED's on this without them being too 'dim'

Im wondering if anyone as any ideas about adding external components onto the PIN between the pin and the LED's to get a boost of power to run more LED's?

Like could i use a transistor to connect the BASE of it too the pin, Then do something with the emitter and collector that will help me run more LED's

Any suggestions! Thanks

you can use a transistor

PICs can usually source about 25mA per port which should be enough to light a LED

if its not enough, like you said you can use transistor as a switch in which case the current would be limited only by the power sources current limit

With a base current of 25mA a transistor can drive 750mA very well. A darlington transistor can drive many amps very well.

The transistor is linear, it is not a switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back