Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost supply for negative rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say we have a power supply that puts out +3.3V and -3.3V at some amperage. We also have access to a boost module, such as **broken link removed**.

It's obvious we can use the module to turn +3.3V into +5V. Can it be used to turn -3.3V into -5V?

... It's obvious we can use the module to turn +3.3V into +5V. ...
Well, not exactly...
upload_2017-3-28_10-6-34.png

I've used this product and any Vin <4VDC results in poor Vout performance.

But, to your question, not the XL6009 module itself.

However, you can build a module, using any of a number of "boost" ICs, to boost a negative voltage, for instance, this one from LT.

I was hoping for (a) a premade module and (b) perhaps I could just reverse the wires or a quick modification to the module.

You don't know if you don't ask.

If your ±3.3VDC supply will go to +10VDC, you could construct this OpAmp based dual supply (virtual ground) generator:
upload_2017-3-28_13-5-55.png

R3 & R4 are just dummy loads to demonstrate current capacity (TL081C will tolerate a 1A load). Also note V1 source is isolated from load ground.

<EDIT> Removed the unnecessary ground from between R1 & R2!

Last edited:
https://www.recom-power.com/pdf/Econoline/R1S_R1D.pdf
In the above data sheet there is a 3.3V in to isolated 5V out at 300mA (you did not say how much power)
The input can be from +3.3 or -3.3 it does not matter.
>+3.3 is simple (+) on 3.3V and (-) on GND
>-3.3 = (+) on GND and (-) on -3.3V !!!!
The output is simple. Connect (+5 output) to GND and (- output) to -5V

There are many little power supplies like this from many places.
Look for DC to DC Isolated supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back