Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost 12Vdc to 100Vdc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
12VDC to 100VDC boost converter 60W

I'v read carefully all your posts, and now I have a similar application; a 60W 100VDC input LEDs luminaire to be powered by a 12VDC battery and solar panel. Now, I use an inverter (12VDC to 127VAC) and a LED driver (127VAC to 100 VDC), but these upload and download and doble conversion takes around 20% of the available power, so I thought to use only a 12VDC to 100VDC boost convert and get rid off the inverter and driver. Unfortunately I haven't found any seller or circuit diagram to do that besides a 70W Philips 12-24VDC driver that only works for its Fortimo LLM fixture (I tried using it but it requires a temperature signal not easy to set). Do you have any information you can provide me? Thanks in advance.

Please consider what is really happening internal to your converter. In all cases, the DC is being converted to AC by some method that can be characterized as an inverter. The AC voltage is then changed and converted back to DC. One could even do this with a rotary converter or dynamotor. Just in case you have never heard of such a thing since it is nothing more than a DC motor/generator in a single rotor/stator configuration. Aircraft radios like the old ARC3 VHF set used them. I do not recall the efficiency of conversion we used to get but I believe that it improves with scale. According to a TV program I saw a few years ago, the NYC subway system uses the things to generate the 650V third rail power for the whole system. The thing they showed was probably more than six feet in diameter while the aircraft version I used to work on turned 24VDC into 120VAC 400Hz in a package of about a foot long by about six to eight inches in diameter (Check the army surplus stores).

By the way, it is best to check the details for yourself since my memory may not be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back