Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bomb Detection Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap69

Guys can any1 help me make a bomb detection circuit... i know it sounds wierd and difficult but i wud be very much thankful if someone cud me guide me at this...

This circuit that you speak of would be so expensive, you couldn't afford one. There is a reason why only a select few airports have them.

well, a detector to detect a bomb when it goes off is pretty easy. though i suppose you mean BEFORE it goes off. nothing like vague questions...

what characteristics do you want to check for? maybe sniff the air and run it through a super sensitive and automated chromatograph looking for the right chemicals? or some sort of CT/MRI scanner looking for specific density of explosives? Maybe if you had a clue as to how it would work we could help you.

the dog will be cheaper...

How about a metal detector?

Nigel Goodwin said:
Dogs are commonly used for explosive searches, but NOT for buried landmines!.

Landmines would be too cruel. Spend all that time to train them for a single use...

I don't recall ever reading about a portable detection unit. This is reletively new technology, closely guarded. Doubtful you'll find schematics or indepth descriptions. Wouldn't want terrorist know how to defeat them....

HarveyH42 said:
Landmines would be too cruel. Spend all that time to train them for a single use...

I don't recall ever reading about a portable detection unit. This is reletively new technology, closely guarded. Doubtful you'll find schematics or indepth descriptions. Wouldn't want terrorist know how to defeat them....

I dunno let a load of stay dogs run across a field, killed 2 birds (or two dozen dogs...) with one stone.

The use of dogs to sniff explosive is very common, the canine nose is one of the most sensitive there is (there are more sensitive, but dogs can be trained)

its not a case of the cct, that would be relatively simple, it is more of the sensor which will be proprietory.
I heard that some UK university managed to kind of train a load of bee's to buzz when they detected their trained target

" the researchers demonstrated that they also could train the wasps to detect 2,4-dinitrotoluene (2,4-DNT), a chemical used in certain explosives. The wasps can also be used to detect chemical odors that are associated with certain human diseases, including lung cancer, skin cancer and stomach ulcers, they say. More recently, their group has been looking into the possibility of using the wasps to detect odors associated with hidden bodies, from murder victims to victims of disasters."

Full text at:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051021120542.htm

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't bother travelling if there were Wasps and Bees hanging around me when I got to the airport. Is this project being funded by Waspeze?

HarveyH42 said:
How long does a bee/wasp live? How do the get they to stay on task? Its total madness... :)

I would think they are very single minded about their tasks, much more so than dogs.

dknguyen said:
I would think they are very single minded about their tasks, much more so than dogs.

Yes, but they're task are for survival and reproduction. Wasn't aware there was a mind or thoughts in the little buggers. Do they have feelings as well?

I'll have to follow that link and see if I can figure out how a bug can learn, seems a contradiction in the physiology...

How would you communicate with them? It would be VERY hard to teach them what to do.

Marks256 said:
How would you communicate with them? It would be VERY hard to teach them what to do.

Hard to write = hard to erase.

And it's easy in that the difficulty does not arise from individuality. So once you have a working method, it should be almost exactly repeatable...unlike training dogs or dolphins with different personalities.

Read the article. Says it only takes 5 minutes to train them, something about mixing food and explosives. They associate explosives with a source of food. The trainer stuffs them in a piece of PVC pipe with a screen covering, starve them for a day or two, then they go crazy when the smell explosives/food. It didn't say anything about how they could tell the difference in response to explosives, and Bar-B-Q and Beer (normal diet I guess).

Anyway, that research was suppose to be published here last January, guess it wasn't as exciting as in the UK...

Hmm, that might work. I like the idea of no bombs period. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back