Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

black thing on chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

in most of the electronics products there is a black blob on the main chip. i have seen this black blob on handheld games and even on the LSI chip of a multimeter.

my question is that what is the use of this black blob. is it the same as the heat spreader of a microprocessor. and why is it black.

It is called "Chip On Board" or "COB" or "SoC" (System on Chip). It is a custom designed IC directly fabricated on to the PCB and the black thing protects silicon wafer from getting damaged. Black thing is a type of plastic. Actually I forgot its name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back