Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Binary to BCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmarFD

Im finding it hard to belive that the only way to convert a binary number to BCD is using a microcontroller.

I am currently building a digital tachometer and the problem I am faced with is that I dont know how to display my 12 bit binary number on four seven segment displays.

I need a solution not involving a microprocessor.

Thanks.

Thanks

Im just surprised. I thought definatly their would be a IC that was cascadeable to take any binary number to a few BCD results.

Guess they still gotta make it :D

There is an obsolete IC that converted binary to BCD which used some sort of ROM lookup table I believe. But it apparently didn't sell very well so they stopped making it.:( Apparently most just us a microprocessor for that task.

There is an obsolete IC that converted binary to BCD which used some sort of ROM lookup table I believe. But it apparently didn't sell very well so they stopped making it.:( Apparently most just us a microprocessor for that task.
So use some EPROMs then. :) A microcontroller is much easier to do it with. Any particular reason you don't want to use one?

What are you getting your 12bit binary data from? An ADC? Then use an ADC that outputs BCD. A bunch of counter ICs? Use BCD counter ICs. Show us your design so far and we may be able to find a better solution.

Last edited:
Hello.
If what you want is to drive 7 segment displays using binary code, why don't
you check the binary to seven segment Decoder/Driver :

DM9374
That will display 0-9 for binary 0-9 but will display A-F for binary 10 through 15. Thus you still need some way of converting binary to BCD to display decimal numbers.

If you can use BCD counters as Diver300 suggested, then that could drive the binary to 7 segment decoder/driver to display normal decimal digits.

Hi
That's right, only if one feels comfortable with Hex numbers it would make sense
the use of a binary to seven segment decoder.

In my opinion, no reason can justify the use of many ICs to accomplish
what one microcontroller alone can do. It will save time, money, space and a lot
of wires=headaches.

Microcontrollers are the present and the future, every electronics hobbyist and professional should learn how to use at least one kind, if they want to keep in touch with this art.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back