Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best website to purchase electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.
buying parts

Digi-Key is my favorite place to get parts because of their large selection. It is usually a one-stop site.
I would be remiss to not mention Newark as well. Parts that Digi-Key does not carry, I have found with them but their prices may be a little higher.

Digi-Key is my favorite place to get parts because of their large selection. It is usually a one-stop site.
I would be remiss to not mention Newark as well. Parts that Digi-Key does not carry, I have found with them but their prices may be a little higher.
I find that odd. In the US (non surplus) I find Mouser to be the best buy, followed by Newark then Digi-Key. But as you said digikey has the largest selection.

It depends on what you want, RS Components are good because they do free delivery for small orders and Rapid Electronics are generally the cheapest. I still recommend shopping around as I've seen somethings in Maplins for less than in Rapid Electronics.

Do you ever use Rapid , Hero?? I have found them to be very reliable, and cheaper than RS too..

I have had a couple of orders from Futurelec, and they were very quick. My second order though, I had to argue with the UK customs & excise regarding a ridiculously excessive duty they tried to charge, which they reluctantly reduced. I also read somewhere, that it is illegal for a Post Office/ courier to make you pay any owed duty before they release your goods.

Last edited:
Hi,

I buy a lot of stuff from ebay. You can buy big bags of components for cheap, and obscure parts come up now and again. Most bags of LEDs come with free resistors for them aswell. The resistors I got had thin little legs and look really cheapo, but still.

I remember wanting a sample from Nat Semi and didn't because of the postage. But I've had a few from microchip and maxim which dont charge postage. Don't forget ripping things out of old pieces of electronics aswell!

I also buy a lot of parts from E-bay. I enjoy shopping there for bulk bargains and finding unusual electronic items. Recently found a new in box PICKIT2 for $20+ shipping. Also have found nice surplus test equipment like functioning HP 8201A RF sweep generator (100khz-110mhz) for $80.

It's nice to have well stocked parts on hand so that projects can start without having to make out a detailed BOM and wait to get started. ;)

Well digikey is great service but the prices are high in low quantities. Mouser is good too but shipping outside US might be expensive.

If you Live OUTSIDE the USA and your Ordering from MOUSER, Demand they ship it by Regular "US Mail", NOT UPS.

One Order I recently did with them, Had a Total cost of about $79.00 USD.

UPS calculated the Canadian Tax on the order to be about $10.
But UPS charged me Over $40.00 COD.
(The Tax, Plus there Charge to Calculate it.)

I Refused the COD and Complained to Mouser.

Mouser than Paid that $40.00 Charge and sent me the parts at Parts Cost Only.
"VERY NICE of them".

NOTE Also, When I origionally ordered these parts, I Did ask they be sent by US Mail. The Person I talked to Said: "We Only send by UPS".
When I Complained to Mouser, I Found the Was NOT TRUE.
That is Why Mouser Paid that Charge.

UPS calculated the Canadian Tax on the order to be about $10.
But UPS charged me Over $40.00 COD.
(The Tax, Plus there Charge to Calculate it.)

I'm from Canada too Ontario.

UPS are a bunch of crooks. They have another scam they call it brokerage fees. They burnt me once on that when I bought my DSO $140.00 fee for basically nothing.

If you order anything from the States through UPS don't let them do the customs clearance for you it's just a big cash cow for them! The drivers will also leave your stuff on your doorstep if your not home.

Better yet choose another carrier snail mail is better!

Fortunately UPS has folded in my town Purolator does UPS's final leg to me.

I find Newark to be the cheapest just there default delivery through UPS $12.00 is expensive. It is usually overnight though.If you don't mind waiting just select another delivery method or call the toll free number.

Things like PIC's and mosfets are half to 1/3 the price that digikey charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back