Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best website to purchase electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugoender

Hello world,

I recently began building circuits as a hobby and am interested in finding an alternative store for purchasing electronic components (I have purchased everything from a local Radioshack store so far).

I have started this thread so that everyone can post their favorite store/site for purchasing components. If you could please post your favorite store/site along with why it is your favorite, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am hoping to find a place with amazing prices (such as Futurlec) but with reasonable customer service (which Futurlec lacks).

Well digikey is great service but the prices are high in low quantities. Mouser is good too but shipping outside US might be expensive.

I know a few stores here, but I doubt if they are any good to you, since I live in Belgium :D

I do go to Canada for 3 months every year, and then radioshack (or the source or whatever it's called right now) usually has the most basic stuff I need, besides that I have a contact in Japan (or china, whatever...) that can get me most of the stuff for pretty cheap...

Most of my parts come from Digi-Key because it's a one-stop shop for me... I like to get everything from the same place and pay for shipping once.

Sometimes I also have to use Mouser if Digi-Key doesn't have what I'm looking for, or when it's way too expensive for the same bunch of parts.

Other special or custom parts will have to come from other places.

Free parts/samples come from everywhere. :)

"

Attachments

• Parts.JPG
    Parts.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Free parts/samples come from everywhere. :)

@ Phil: From where? I went to National Semiconductors and looked at their samples but it seems like the shipping costs so much that it's not worth it and they never offer samples of the stuff that I need.

@Henry T: how about hooking me up with your contact in Japan? :)
Maybe he can charge me a service fee and make some money off of me.

Hi Hugoender, samples are usually from Texas Instruments, Maxim-IC (Dallas Semi), Microchip, and other places. If you have access to the EE Times magazine, just look in there - occasionally companies give away evaluation kits, programmers, etc too.

He moved from the Netherlands to China a couple of years ago and started his own busines or something over there.

SamenKopen.net - LEDs, componenten, meters, lampen, motors This is a special (dutch) site where he offers his electronics at a lot of people at once, so that it's cheaper...

LEDSEE electronics - Home
I believe this is his site, ofcourse all prices are in €, so I don't know if it's such a good deal for americans (with the dollar being so low...) + the shipping costs, but take a look around, next time you're in China, you have a contact that can get you cheap stuff :p

I have started this thread so that everyone can post their favorite store/site for purchasing components. If you could please post your favorite store/site along with why it is your favorite, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi,

I buy a lot of stuff from ebay. You can buy big bags of components for cheap, and obscure parts come up now and again. Most bags of LEDs come with free resistors for them aswell. The resistors I got had thin little legs and look really cheapo, but still.

I remember wanting a sample from Nat Semi and didn't because of the postage. But I've had a few from microchip and maxim which dont charge postage. Don't forget ripping things out of old pieces of electronics aswell!

Digikey and Mouser in the US. Texas Instruments has a free sample program that is almost one-stop shopping for IC's.

RS Components for me because shipping's free for any quantity.

Well in total I have placed two orders from Futurlec and both came extremely fast and with zero problems. No complaints and would probably buy from them again. I have purchased stuff from quite a bit of online stores and to be honest, I have not had any problem with any of them. Very happy :)

I think most people are happy with Futurlec. My last orders came within 2 weeks of placing them online, which is pretty good. Use to be about three weeks. Only had one order, went kind of badly. Had a sensor on back order for three months, but I got E-mails keeping me informed on the progress, well at least letting me know I wasn't forgotten. I'm very patient, so wasn't worried. I've always gotten what I ordered, and everything worked fine. Quality is great, not cheap knock offs. Haven't had to deal with customer service in regards to billing, missing parts, dead parts, ect. so can't say how that goes.

Amateur radio operators (known as "hams") gather at hamfests - usually sponsored by a local club - and a large part of that activity includes a market (flea-market) where new and used parts/equipment can be sold/bought. Sometimes local electronics equipment suppliers will have booths there - as do individuals who want to get rid of excess inventory. Look on the ARRL website for a listing of hamfests in your area. I would expect them to be frequent in a place like Miami and surrounding areas. While you may not find exactly the parts you need (though sometimes you can) you will also see all the extras like switches, enclosures and misc hardware that can often cost more than the electronics part of a project.

I would expect that the robotics community, among others, has similar gatherings.

Here in Rochester there are several electronics suppliers who serve commercial and industrial clients but who are also very helpful to the hobbyist. There are also several electronic surplus outlets who cater to the little guy though sadly one of them will close their doors at the end of the month. Again, in Miami I'd expect there would be something similar.

My sources include those already mentioned. Dan's Small Parts is another one.

sadly one of them will close their doors at the end of the month
Not Glenwood, I hope....
[edit] I just looked them up and they seem to have become a "distributor"? In the 1960's I got surplus there; good prices!

Last edited:
Electronic Goldmine is a good supplier of surplus parts, that hasn't been mentioned yet. Shipping has always been very prompt.
**broken link removed**

Electronic Express is another supplier supplier of inexpensive electronics, but their order processing time is a bit longer than desired (1 week-10 days on several recent orders) .
https://www.elexp.com/index.htm

Ditto to what's been posted about Mouser!

All Electronics is another great surplus dealer.
https://www.allelectronics.com/index.php

The 'candy store' sells specialized parts, do not look for resistors and capacitors there :

**broken link removed** :)

Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back