Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best simulation software

Status
Not open for further replies.

capone

Hie,

I would like to know what's about you the best simulation software (Spice, MicroCAp,...) ?? What's is the most professional, realist, ...? Thanks a lot.

I use LTSpice, can't beat free and fully functional for general simulation of discrete components and support for behavioral modeling. I've heard good things about Proteus as well for pay software that's reasonably priced, not sure about much else really.

best simulation software
Define your criteria. I use LTspice a lot for basic circuits. I can set up a simple circuit in minutes. Unfortunately you have to find models for most non-LT components and import them.

I paid thousands for several SPICE programs that were not good. I have used MicroCap for years. I cannot get any spice to work with a large circuit, in-part because of non standard analog parts with no models. I break down the project into small pieces. 1.) Large multiple feedback loop circuits may require hours to stabilize, and then not work like the real thing. 2.) A small circuit will work much closer to the real thing and take only mS to simulate.

A real op-amp does not work well if the input voltage are near the power supply pins voltage. It’s output gets slow and sticky if the output gets near the supply pins. Most spice op-amps do not model that. A spice inductor is a theory not a reality. Inductors have resistance and capacitance.

I would download sever demo versions. See which has the user interface you like. See which has the most models. Run the demo for a while before dropping $5000.00 in a piece of software. For most people the demo version will work fine. Keep it simple and don’t count on spice equaling reality. It is a imperfect tool, but better than no tool.

wmmullaney said:
Mac version?
I don't know about "best", but a quick search finds several circuit simulators for the Mac. I believe some are freeware.

LTspice is pretty basic from a programming standpoint, it was designed to run well under wine so it should run well from emulation software run on a Mac. I believe Vmware offers a free version of it's virtualzation software that runs on an X86 Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back