Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best material to create permanent magnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenw232

I would like to create a magnet using electricity. What is the best material to do this? So I would take a bar and wrap it with wire and apply a DC current to it. This would then create a permanent bar magnet.

what is the best material to use for the bar? any good sources to buy/get it this material?

thank for any suggestions.

No, that makes an electromagnet. TO make a permanent magnet you need to heat the right material up past the curie temperature so the magnetic domains in the material can be moved around, expose it to a strong magnetic field to align the those domains, and let it cool in that magnetic field so that the magnetic domains freeze in place with that alignment.

Last edited:
Use soft iron which is best to magnetize.

However if dropped hard it will loose magnetism very quickly.

I think he's talking about magnetising it with electricity.

Yes, you need to heat it, it's not worth it, buy a magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back