Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Electronics Magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torben, you sound like teacher material :)

I meant that as a compliment by the way...

Last edited:
I consider Nuts and Volts to be the best electronics magazine available in the US today. Considering todays inflation, $24.95 for a single year subsciption, including the on-line version, is not bad.

Articles each month include how-to's on PICs, Basic Stamp and PICaxe, at least three construction articles, and special features on robotics and many other aspects for the hobbyist or professional.

Also included each month are question and answer segments on circuits and theory.

I've been subscribing for a couple of years now, and look forward to each month's copy. I highly recommend this magazine.

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Did you just scratch your chin? I was testing...:)

The key here is to pick magizines and projects compatiable with your experiance. IEEE and CircuitCellar should not be where an entry level person looks for projects. But they are good inspriation.

A few posts back someone mentioned "50 Projects You Can Build". This sort of thing was a great place to start. As is much of what Forest Mims had written.

I consider Nuts and Volts to be the best electronics magazine available in the US today. Considering todays inflation, $24.95 for a single year subsciption, including the on-line version, is not bad.
Why do you feel it is better then CircuitCellar ? Both are good. CC is $15 year for the electronic subscription.

Torben, you sound like teacher material :)

I meant that as a compliment by the way...

Hey, thanks. :) One day--after the job is worked out and we've managed to get our house built--my dream is to finish my degree and get my teaching certificate.

Torben

Why do you feel it is better then CircuitCellar ?

Basically, because I am a hobbyist, and CircuitCellar is a bit too advanced for me. I was a j-school grad many years ago, long before computer science became the in thing.

The attachment says it all.

Attachments

• c_cellar mag.JPG
    c_cellar mag.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 279
I have boxes of old issues of Elementary Electronics, Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronix Illustrated. Many of the issues are of the vintage when they were half-sized magazines that included "pictorial diagrams" along with the schematic. Those pictorials typically forced the mag. publishers to stick with simpler projects due to the complexity of hand drawn illustrations. What a chuckle it is to peruse through those old advertisements for correspondence schools, vacuum tube testers, 23 channel crystal controlled CB radios, etc.

I wonder how may of the projects from back then are unbuildable because of discontinued parts. Could be that quite a few use common parts you can still get today.

I have boxes of old issues of Elementary Electronics, Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronix Illustrated. Many of the issues are of the vintage when they were half-sized magazines that included "pictorial diagrams" along with the schematic. ...

Well for one, germanium diodes aren't all that commonplace these days. The folks who build guitar sound FX units love the germaniums for their characteristic distortion. I remember reading in almost every issue a page with corrections to either the schematic or the pictorial due to descrepancies between the two.

Well for one, germanium diodes aren't all that commonplace these days. The folks who build guitar sound FX units love the germaniums for their characteristic distortion. I remember reading in almost every issue a page with corrections to either the schematic or the pictorial due to descrepancies between the two.

yeah i used germanium diodes to build a peak detector for my AM receiver. they had a voltage drop 0f 0.2 voltas as compared to .5-0.7 for common diodes. i was lucky to find some at a radio ham fest. 10 cents each!

For those of you that deal with electronics on a hobby level and desire to build easy, fun projects, you should occasionally check in to these websites:

If you reside in the USA:
http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

If you reside in Canada:
**broken link removed**

Quite often you can purchase surplus components for cheap as well as out of print magazines. By searching through the dealer "junk parts" boxes, you can easily find discontinued parts for pennies on the dollar. Often these junk parts boxes are left behind near dumpsters or cans at the HamFest's end since vendors don't want to drag them back home which = FREE! I scored me a parts drawer full of new germanium diodes once, that way as well as two Forest Mims project books!

Of course the Internet is a great endless source of fun, hobby style electronic projects. Just enter phrases like : fun electronic projects, fun circuits, simple electronic projects, hobby circuits, etc. You get lots of returned hits. Here are just a few:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://amasci.com/amateur/elehob.html
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.hobbyprojects.com/
**broken link removed**
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/

Last edited:
Want to sell?

I would be interested in buying some or all of your elementary electronics magazines. Could you give me a price?

Thanks,

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back