Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Being a rich kid and your family won't allow you to fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends,

I guess it's time to enlighten all our lifes.

Just picture a huge park with a huge super-de-lux-villa. Of course the park is protected by high walls all around.

The entrance is made similar to the "arc de treomphe" in Paris with a banner saying:

I was a high school dropout

Just give it a thought.

Boncuk

Let them to appear as the authors...

I hate that. You propose a solution and later your solution is implemented, but only when it suddenly becomes "their idea".

Well, in my job, THAT makes the trick. Since I do not work for the "glory" of being recognized as the originator of the solution, THAT is all what I need: the Ch. Officer or Master of the vessel to adopt my idea as HIS.

In the beginning I struggled to convince them but found later that what I needed is them to feel it was theirs.

Happened after a very rough argument with a Captain, who in rage, started to produce his own calculations (myself taking notes dutifully) with exactly the sames values I got when planning the vessel.

From that moment on, we never had to discuss details and we loaded a big bulk carrier with steel cargoes the way my principals needed.

Last edited:
My experience

I am sooo tired of teaching resistor colour codes and others OVER and OVER and OVER again to the same person.

Hola tv,

I tend to think I understand your frustration.

My experience in a formal teaching job comes from teaching to somewhat qualified students.

At the Uni, I always assumed they were there studying "for them" so it was in their interest to grasp what I explained.

One thing is true, once anyone asks for a clarification I avoid like plague the exact repetition of whatever I said before (if that is possible).

The same when you and/or your interlocutor are not using their native language.

It is a poor resource to repeat verbatim more than once a word/sentence that was not understood, as long as you have alternatives (synonyms or just a different construction).

It works both ways, whether you / the other part are native or not in the language being spoken.

Poorly educated people tend to repeat and repeat (and repeat) the same word in the hope to make you wiser...

Last edited:
There are people that have not read this thread properly. And then commented anyway.

My issue is not about working for a Company or being loyal to it as in the Master/ Slave relationship. I do not work for the guy/guys I am angry with.

I do CONTRACT WORK. I bail these kinds of people out the crap they are in. And whilst I am there in that situation...I try and help them so they can sort their own stuff and not find it necessary to call on my help. But they will not learn or listen.

I wanted these people to be able to stand on their own two feet after all I tried to teach them.

Four Years later....I realise I have wasted my time.

Now Mr RB, do you understand????:
Eric you too???

Cheers,
TV Tech

Last edited:
I do CONTRACT WORK. I bail these kinds of people out the crap they are in.
The electronic equivalent of a prostitute!
Hump me, dump me and move on!
I am in a similar position myself.

And whilst I am there in that situation...I try and help them so they can sort their own stuff and not find it necessary to call on my help. But they will not learn or listen.
They have you there on call for that.
It is called repeat business, it may be a bit repetitive but if it put money in the bank and food on the table, if it is legal so you are not going to end up in clink, just go with the flow.

JimB

The electronic equivalent of a prostitute! Hump me, dump me and move on!

I think it's: "Hump me, dump me, thump me out the door, consulting work is like being a whore."

Which is why I prefer the term "Hired gun".

Last edited:
The electronic equivalent of a prostitute!
Hump me, dump me and move on!
I am in a similar position myself.

They have you there on call for that.
It is called repeat business, it may be a bit repetitive but if it put money in the bank and food on the table, if it is legal so you are not going to end up in clink, just go with the flow.

JimB

While I seldom hear much from my department manager or my own reporting department head every now and then I do. Last week was one such occasion. I have put some time in the weld department working a few issues and problems. When this happens my joke with our management is telling them I feel like I was whore, sold off as a prostitute, I feel so dirty. :)

As to doing contract work I see it as a "good thing". I have done a few side jobs here and there but have what I call my "real job". For those who do contract and or consulting work should be happy that many can't do or grasp the work they are doing. This is what places beanies and weenies on the table and pays the bills. If everybody and anybody could do this work there would be no need for the contract or consultant services. Read into that no beanies and weenies, cold and darkness and eventually calling a cardboard box home and urinating in gutters.

As to having ones ideas or suggestions stolen from under them or others receiving credit for their work. When I have thoughts or ideas to improve a process I reserve them for the meetings I have grown to hate. Then and only then do I present my ideas or thoughts. This way they fall upon the right ears. Additionally when I am looking to implement something it's the administrative types I look to for funding. I should also point out that if a junior comes to me with an idea I present it in their name. I am old enough and secure enough in my position that I don't need to present the thinking someone else ideas as my own.

Anyway, those who do contract or consulting work should rejoice that there are so many inept people out there as that is how the money is made. Someone needs to do the work and get compensated well so it may as well be you. Nothing wrong with being a whore or prostitute, the money is good. :)

Ron

Last edited:
There are people that have not read this thread properly. And then commented anyway.

My issue is not about working for a Company or being loyal to it as in the Master/ Slave relationship. I do not work for the guy/guys I am angry with.

I do CONTRACT WORK. I bail these kinds of people out the crap they are in. And whilst I am there in that situation...I try and help them so they can sort their own stuff and not find it necessary to call on my help. But they will not learn or listen.

I wanted these people to be able to stand on their own two feet after all I tried to teach them.

Four Years later....I realise I have wasted my time.

Now Mr RB, do you understand????:
Eric you too???

Sorry TvTech I apologise for assuming you were an employee, you complained about "the guy you work for" and did not clarify you were a contractor.

And I apologise in advance because I am still not very sympathetic to your plight. You said you spent "4 years trying to teach the guy" so I'm assuming this is 4 years of contract jobs you got paid for? If you got paid the correct amount for each job then it's done, please quit complaining.

On the other had if you chose to invest a lot of unpaid time "trying to teach" a client then I can understand why now you would be feeling annoyed. Not only was your unpaid time wasted time but even if it had worked the only end result is that the client would have less need of you so you would be reducing your future income from that client. That's two reasons it was a poor decision for an electronics contractor and sure you would feel bad about it.

Or if you like to spend some of personal time in helping/teaching others (as many of us do) then why be so ticked off that one person didn't want to learn and decide you are now going to stop helping everybody? If you want to help people and teach stuff then don't stess that some people won't get it. Some do, some don't.

It still sounds to me like you have some personal issue (jealousy?) of the "spoilt rich brat"? If you don't like him personally then just stick to the businesss relationship and get paid for helping him. And as for "bailing these other people out" well you got paid for it right? Emotional drives and work don't go well together, emotions belong in your personal life not in a contracting business.

Hi friends,

I don't quite understand what the lamento is all about.

I have never been an engineer, but a well trained and successful pilot with 255 kills - all illegal, because I did it on spy missions. (Covert operations).

If you are convinced of your knowledge and abilities you don't have to be a whore in business.

Here is another example how I mastered oncoming problems:

There was a bunch of 15 graduated engineers planning air movement in a new building in the center of Cologne/Germany.

The task was moving >500,000 cubic meters of air per hour for air conditioning purposes of a main post office.

I was invited by my contractor to participate on the run for the construction being worth 5million EURO.

During the discussion the engineers pointed out that there won't be a channel distributing air, but a lousy pipe measuring 60X60 cm for the hole thing.

My quick calculation showed a wind speed of at least 140km/h, which would cause a lot of noise throughout the building and I suggested to my contractor to retreat from any business concerning that business, if there was no channel at the size to walk through.

I was given bad reputation by my contractor, but two years later I got it back.

The company providing the fans and control computers went bankrupt because of never ending noise disturbance and improvement works in the faulty system.

Air is not as easy to handle as many people might think. Air is lazy and always takes the shortest way. (Same as electric power)

It was a hurricane within the system to be handled!

Regards to all

Boncuk

Last edited:
Could a Mod close this thread please. I believe it has served it's purpose. My rant and my thread, and now it is officially over.

Maybe another thread could be started with a better title. And better help members to expose/express their frustrations in the electronics industry.

Just a thought....

Kind regards,
TV Tech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back