Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner Question 555 possibly monostable

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdistance

Hi, I have tried to find a simple answer for this in the forum but would appreciate if someone could give me a pointer. I set out on a project to try and move a 3mm diammeter rod in direct proportion to a voltage applied but I was limited to very small components and couldnt find a stepper motor with linear movement control which was less than 1.5cm long and required low voltage dc supply. The only other option I could find was to get a miniature solenoid and use a simple on off trigger and use a mechanical screw to adjust position after initial on trigger. I am using a mechanical on off switch to apply a trigger to activate a solenoid using the smallest battery available probably a 6v camera battery. The problem is that I need the solenoid to be activated after a period of time rather then immediately when the switch is closed ~(or open if need be). This delay has to be confirmed but will be between 0.1 - 0.8 secs. I was thinking of a switch which triggered a 555 timer output after eg 0.5 secs , the output goes high to activate the solenoid and stays in the high position.
So
1 - switch is closed
2 - A 0.5 second delay occurs before
3 - A battery voltage is applied to a solenoid and stays there until switch is open

4?? does anybody know of a tiny linear low voltage dc stepper motor available as I couldnt find one
Any help please....

Last edited:
Hello,

Probably not the right way to do it but could you put a capacitor in your circuit somewhere to provide your time delay. So effectively you have to wait for the capacitor to charge up before the solenoid would move? If not a 555 timer would do the job. Let me know if you need a circuit diagram and or the formula's to calculate the capacitor and resistor values.

Rob

The circuit you are looking for is called a "power on delay" or "delay on make". You can Google those. Here's a simple one that I've used to prevent two big electric motors from starting at once: http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/page2.htm#delay.gif

Also check here: **broken link removed**

Attached is another circuit that I have used.

Ken

Attachments

• Delay-on-Make 2N7&#48.gif
    Delay-on-Make 2N7&#48.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
That power delay circuits helped me too. But I didn't see any resistors that would discharge the capacitor after it has been charged so that it would function next time also.

Last edited:
That power delay circuits helped me too. But I didn't see any resistors that would discharge the capacitor after it has been charged.
Hi,
If you mean Ken's circuit, the capacitor is discharged via D1 and R1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back