Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Tab Spot Welder

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

I see that Amazon and other sellers now have some very inexpensive spot welders for battery tabs.

Does anyone here have any experience with them and recommendations?

They are probably all very similar, we've had a Sunko one from Banggood for a few years now and it's been really good. I would suggest you use the thinner metal strips though (0.1mm) rather than 0.2mm ones. We replace a lot of batteries, and build up battery packs, it's been a great help.

Thanks.
With all of the rechargeable battery packs that I have, it should pay for itself quite quickly.

I see that Amazon and other sellers now have some very inexpensive spot welders for battery tabs.

I have been looking at this one, but I am a bit puzzled.

I simply want to do some occasional 18650 spot welding.

I notice the 2.1mm plug, so I assume I would plug that into a female balun and wire up to 12v 5amp power, however
I noticed a youtube vid where the bottom two lugs are connected to decent amperage cable and powered that way, I assume ignoring existing cable.

Would anyone know the best way to get this one working properly, as in, will it work straight off using cable in picture?.

I have tried unsuccessfully the following:
BIFRC Dh20 (cable got hot & mofset blew after 3 tries) I am stuck with it

I also tried a more expensive one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HRQ3CW7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one was very very weak at the highest level, (4) so was sent back.

I also tried a Green-Cap 2.7v 500f Super Capacitor (showed incorrect voltage straight away, charged to 2.6v showed at 2.0v on meter
Then when charged at 3.0v (to get to 2.6v) it showed at 2.5v, was very hot and had ballooned out at the bottom,
the way a bike battery does when regulator has failed. (thrown in the bin, glad it did not go bang)

I just need something to work for me so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I have been looking at this one, but I am a bit puzzled.

I simply want to do some occasional 18650 spot welding.

I notice the 2.1mm plug, so I assume I would plug that into a female balun and wire up to 12v 5amp power, however
I noticed a youtube vid where the bottom two lugs are connected to decent amperage cable and powered that way, I assume ignoring existing cable.

Would anyone know the best way to get this one working properly, as in, will it work straight off using cable in picture?.

I have tried unsuccessfully the following:
BIFRC Dh20 (cable got hot & mofset blew after 3 tries) I am stuck with it

I also tried a more expensive one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HRQ3CW7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one was very very weak at the highest level, (4) so was sent back.

I also tried a Green-Cap 2.7v 500f Super Capacitor (showed incorrect voltage straight away, charged to 2.6v showed at 2.0v on meter
Then when charged at 3.0v (to get to 2.6v) it showed at 2.5v, was very hot and had ballooned out at the bottom,
the way a bike battery does when regulator has failed. (thrown in the bin, glad it did not go bang)

They all look too underpowered to be of much use.

This is the one we have:

Even with that it's best to stick to the thinnest metal strips in order to get a good weld - thicker ones don't work as well. We run it on the highest current setting, and on double pulses.

I get the impression the "pen" ones are only electrode plus trigger assemblies, to be connected to a separate spot weld power unit.

You need the complete system.

Thanks for input

I have a Rockseed 305p so would be powering from that

Good point about thickness, I am not having much luck with 1.5

For me "to play" the SUNKKO would be overkill for occasional use, though.

I had a couple of Ryobi One+ batteries that had dead cells, using laptop batteries I have managed to fix two so far, mind, I had to solder them
as I have had no real luck so far with the diy type.

I am building a spot welder for sheet metal from a microwave tranny, that, I suspect would fry my 18650's

Based on my power supply, would you suggest I buy it?

ta

They all look too underpowered to be of much use.

This is the one we have:

Even with that it's best to stick to the thinnest metal strips in order to get a good weld - thicker ones don't work as well. We run it on the highest current setting, and on double pulses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back