Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery powered Atmega application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odysseas

Hi there,

I have built a digital alarm (from my last posting 'Schmitt Trigger for counting the time'), and an acquaintance of mine has asked me if I could build an alarm like this for her. But she'd need it powered from a battery, for mobile use.

Now a few questions: Is it realistic to use an Atmega16 for a battery powered application? The datasheet specifies the power consumption for the atmega16l to be 1.1mA when fully powered up.

Which type of battery (of course, rechargable) would be appropriate? I thought of simple NimH batteries, which could be recharged directly in the alarm if an external power supply is connected.

Thanks for any help!

You need to measure the current of the entire circuit, not just the Atmega.
Select a low-current voltage regulator.
Make a crystal-controlled 50Hz or 60Hz oscillator to replace the opto-isolator.

A little 9V Ni-MH battery is really only 7.2V which is close to being too low for an ordinary 5V regulator. Its charge (175mA/hr) lasts only 35 hours with a load of 5mA.

Six AAA Ni-MH cells (900mA/hr) will power the thing for 180 hours.

Six AA Ni-MH cells (2500mA/hr) will power the thing for 500 hours.

When doing desigining circuits that need to have low power draw, there's a couple things you want:

1) Go for the lowest voltage that you can use - 3.3V is standard, 1.8V is available in some of the Atmel's lineup. This will drop the required power tremendously because of CMOS's V^2/R power consumption, as well as possibly simplifying your power circuitry.

2) Optimize the power required for computation - there's a tradeoff in terms of clock frequency and time spent in "sleep" mode. If you can get the processor to spend 99% of it's time in sleep mode, you can cut the average power consumption by 1-2 orders of magnitude.

3) Figure out the interface - people use bare LCD panes and microcontrollers with built-in LCD drive when they need to get months/years of lifetime out of something. You probably don't want to go this far, but if you are going to use LEDs, be sure to get high-efficiency ones that are bright at <5mA.

4) NiMH and NiCD have pretty large self-discharge rates - they'll naturally lose a couple percent of their charge per day. If this is acceptable, the use them. Rechargable Lithium types are a bit better - I think it's a couple percent per month or something. Primary lithium cells have a stupidly long shelf-life and are used when you want something to run for years at a time...

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back