Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery pack fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

confounded

Hi, i dont understand whats going on with my battery pack :confused:

When i measure voltage across the battery pack i get 6v.

When i attach the wires to the battery pack and measure voltage i get AC millivolts, which when looked at with my oscilloscope is 50hz rough looking sinewaves.

I measured the resistance between the wires when my batterys unplugged and it is infinite.

Why does voltage go to practically zero when i attach the wires to the battery, it cant be a short as the resistance between them is infinite?

pic attached

Attachments

• P1010161.JPG
    P1010161.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 159
You are picking up AC "hum" from the mains. It is because the leads of the CRO are effectively open-circuit or maybe because the wires to the battery snap are faulty and not making contact.

He wouldn't be getting 6 volts if one was open.

open cell

what would you expect to see on an open cell? a short or partial would read less voltage, correct?

An open cell, nothing, there would be no path for the other batteries to produce a voltage. Cells generally don't fail open I don't think, they usually fail short circuit.

6V without the connecting wires and zero volts with the connecting wires.
Duh! It is obvious that the connecting wires are broken.

A DMM has y high impedance 1MΩ or more per volt.
As hardly any load is put on the pack it will read your full voltage.

As soon you apply a small load on the battery pack (eg 10 or 20 mA) it drops to zero, indicates a poor connection in between cells.

I have found that in drill battery packs occasionally poor spotwelds between cells do fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back