Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi All ,

i'm looking for a good battery monitor schematic for my robot, i have a abattery Lead Acid 12 volt.

have anybody built such project ?, i tried one before but it doesn't work properly.

Thank you ,

M.Farag

hi,

This device is made as a battery status monitor.

Last edited:
The LM10 is an accurate 200mV reference with an opamp to amplify it and another opamp that is used as a comparator, in an 8-pins DIL case.
It can be used as an over-voltage or under-voltage sensor.

Most chips are very inexpensive.
Postage to Egypt might cost a fortune.

o.k , now i have searched for the chip MAX 8211 in Egypt but i can't find it ,

have u other suggestions for building battery monitor? ......using PIC is more easier as for me .

watzmann said:
o.k , now i have searched for the chip MAX 8211 in Egypt but i can't find it ,

have u other suggestions for building battery monitor? ......using PIC is more easier as for me .
hi,
Which PIC do you have?

actually the battery monitor is my main problem now , imagine that you have a robot and you don't know when will the battery will be empty,

watzmann said:
actually the battery monitor is my main problem now , imagine that you have a robot and you don't know when will the battery will be empty,

hi,
If your robot is controlled by a 16F877, this PIC has internal 10 bit analog to digital convertors. It would be very easy to monitor the battery voltage, use a resitive potential divider to keep the maximum voltage into the ADC <=+5V.

Is this what you mean?

watzmann said:

hi,
Have looked at the link, its using a PIC, so why dont you use an ADC input on your 16F877 to do the same job.
:confused:
Unless you want a battery monitor/indicator external to the robot, if so, then a DVM would do the same job.

Do you follow my suggestion?

watzmann said:

Some PICs have Low/High voltage detects now.
The 16F917 and 18F4620 (an excellent chip for a robot) have this module.

i have thought of the sugesstion of using the internal A/D converter to read the volts , and i think i can do that to read volts up to 5 Volts , using the 7805L.....but i need to measure more volts than 5 volts , 5 is so low......i think i need to measure up to 12 Volts.

how to do that ............ i'm sorry but i'm still beginner

watzmann said:
i have thought of the sugesstion of using the internal A/D converter to read the volts , and i think i can do that to read volts up to 5 Volts , using the 7805L.....but i need to measure more volts than 5 volts , 5 is so low......i think i need to measure up to 12 Volts.

how to do that ............ i'm sorry but i'm still beginner

Hi,
You use a resistor voltage divider.
Example in the gif.

Dont go much higher in the resistance values, as the PIC's ADC input expects a source resistance of <=10K0

Always calculate the resistors so that Vout is <=+5V [ADC input] using the highest expected value for Vin.

The values shown are for a Vin max of +12V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back