Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Life - 12V Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my travel trailer, the house battery on my boat, backup power for my ham station, I use 100Ah Sealed Lead Acid (AGM) batteries designed for UPS service. I happen to have a source of these that are removed from commercial service after they get two years old. They typically have a capacity of about 85Ah when I get them. I use them for about three years and discard them when their capacity goes below ~50Ah. To get three years, I constantly float them per the manufacturer's instructions (13.5V to 13.8V, depending on ambient temperature), other wise, just sitting around, they go dead in six months to a year, and cannot be recovered.

Check with local government or businesses that have standby power systems. For critical applications, they routinely remove from service batteries that still have a lot of useful life for a hobbyist.
Curious as to the manufacturer and model no. of your UPS batteries. If I could be so bold as to ask; are they from a telecom co.? and how much did they cost? Five years of service is very good for deep discharges, more than double probably than a standard flooded lead acid battery.

I have a 100ah Deka AGM battery in the pickup camper and it has a very low discharge rate. It was bought new and cost an arm and a leg. Left the battery in a full charge condition 4mos. ago (about 12.9V). After reconnecting the battery, turned on the hood fan for a couple of minutes. Rechecked the battery voltage and it was 12.6V. Normally, they should have a very good shelf life, or low self discharge rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back