Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery inverter/charger with USB output

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVIndustries

Hello all,

I don't have much electronics knowledge, and I'm mainly here to ask if there's a simple way to complete a project I'm thinking about, preferably with off-the-shelf parts. I want to build a device that has the following features:

-3 to 8 USB ports capable of providing 5v 1amp power output to multiple USB devices simultaneously
-a 12v or 6v battery inside the device that powers the USB ports
-a 120v AC cord that can be plugged in to charge the battery and provide AC power to the USB ports

So basically what I want is a battery with an inverter/charger that powers a number of USB ports. I've looked at all the inverter/chargers I can find online and they are expensive and provide way more power than I need. This is the simplest one I've found:

APS700HF - PowerVerter APS Ultra-Compact Inverter/Charger - with Auto-Transfer Switching

It provides 700w, while 150w would be more than enough for my purposes. The other issue with these inverter/chargers is that they all have 120v AC output, requiring me to plug multiple AC to USB adapters into the AC line in order to get the USB power output.

I was thinking a simpler way to do this would be to wire the battery directly to a series of USB ports, as was done with AA batteries in this project:

Minty Boost! - USB charger for your gadgets

Then I would need a charger connected to the battery; I don't know if I could have the charger and the wiring for the USB ports connected at the same time. Anyway, if you can comment on the feasibility of this or point me toward products that would make it simple to set something like this up, I'd appreciate it.

I might want to make several of these devices and I wouldn't want to have to get each one soldered together by hand, so if there are products that can be ordered and put together to make this device I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back