Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery building question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdkanz

If i build a 7 cell battery with 7 sub-c 1.2v 1000mah cells would the battery be 1000mah or 7000mah because i used 7 1000mah battery cells?

If the cells are wired in series it would be an 8.4V 1000mAH pack.
If the cells are wired in parallel it would be a 1.2V 7000mAH pack.

creakndale

Ok, what would happen if i used 8 1000mah cells wired 7 of them in series and then 1 in parallel would i get 8.4v 2000mah?

No, you would get smoke as the string of 7 blew up the single one.

Ok, what would happen if i connected 6 1500mah cells in series and then 1 1800mah in series? how many mah would there be?

Last edited:
Don't want to step on MikeMi's toes, but you don't get anything special from the 1800mah battery. You're constranined by the "weak link" principle.

Last edited:
Is there any way to use 1500mah cells to make 8.4v and more than 1500mah?

The minimum way to accomplish that is to use 14 batteries, wired in two series strings of 7 batteries per string. Then wire the two strings in parallel. That would give 8.4V, 3000mah.

No configuration less that 14 batteries will do what you want.

If you put batteries in parallel, diode "OR" them together

I think you are using old low capacity Ni-Cad cells. If you use modern Ni-MH cells then the capacity for a sub-C size is 4200mAh and 4500mAh today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back