Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

batteries and milliamps and mah

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanadu vector

I built a pushbutton timer circuit to run a LED using a 556 IC. It runs the LED at 20ma for 8 minutes. When the LED is off the circuit draws 2ma. The entire thing runs on a 9v battery. All of the dry cell 9v batteries don't have a mah rating... Is there a way to figure out how long the 9v battery will last at a 2ma drain or what a batteries mah is? I mean without actually finding out by running it down...

And, does anyone know of a schematic I can use that will enable me to accomplish the same thing with less or no standby power?

Thanks!

Go to the site of a battery manufacturer like Energizer to see the spec's of their many different types and sizes. Their mA/hr ratings are for different ending voltages.

Use a Cmos 555 like an LMC555 or TLC555 for low operating current.

I'm just taging on to this post, but say my project uses 3.5mA at idle; the battery is a 225mAh coin cell batery. That means the poject will wun for 225 / 3.5 = 64 hours?

Is that correct?

DirtyLude said:
I'm just taging on to this post, but say my project uses 3.5mA at idle; the battery is a 225mAh coin cell batery. That means the poject will wun for 225 / 3.5 = 64 hours?

Is that correct?
Just look at the battery cell's datasheet.
Energizer's CR2032 lithium coin cell is rated for 225mA/hrs at a current of only 0.29mA and a finished voltage of 2.0V (2.9V to start).
It is shown to have a 188mA/hrs capacity when it has a pulsed 6.8mA load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back