Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volt 0

I am quiet new to Electronics but very fascinated by this world. Out of personal interest I have learned many basic concept. I would like to further explore this world. Hence I require some basic help like what are the area of topics initially I should thrust upon? What are the techniques to understand schematic diagram of a circuit ? What are the basic points I should always take into consideration before drawing or composing a circuit ? How to debug a circuit ?
I would very thankful for anyone who can help me out.

There is some core knowledge that anyone wishing to play with electronics must have however, in order to apply the knowledge you don't need to have a Master's Degree in EE (nice but not required). It does help to have a general or specific area of interest so that you can learn a little and apply it even if only to blink some lights or sound an alarm. Electronics encompasses a lot so it helps to have a goal in mind, even if the goal is temporary.

For me ham radio is one of several reasons for improving my electronics knowledge. My son's excuse was car stereos. For others it's RC model cars, robots, communications, computers, automobiles, etc.

So, if you have an area of interest that you can tie to electronics you can follow along with others of similar mind to learn how a design works or what's important to know in terms of reading diagrams. In reading thru this forum you'll see what I mean as people post questions about radio, computers, communications, etc. Radio Shack and other entities publish books that are good for some general areas of interest. They start by explaining a few things then describe some simple applications. You sort of build your knowledge base by reading then doing.

Hope this helps.

Try this:

I got my big boost in the hobby when an old family friend, who was an amateur radio operator (ham), gave me his 1962 edition of the ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook. It was at one time considered to be the "bible" of hams and electronic hobbyists, but the editions since 1990 are getting poorer by the year, involving less construction with eash passing year.

I'd suggest finding one or more older copies (your public library or ebay) from 1965 through 1990. Although some of the material will be dated (FCC rules change and some of the technology may be older), a lot of the basic stuff is still good, such as theory and construction practices. The older editions also had a pretty comprehensive tube manual in the back, still handy today if you work on older vacuum tube equipment.

I have about 6 or 8 copies of the handbook, updating them every five or seven years or so. To learn from them, just begin with page one and start paging through the book. You'll learn something each time you go through this wonderful publication.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back