Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project box basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermati

Ok - idiot question here, but if someone has a guide to using project boxes and mounting components, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a project using a PCB audio amplifier (about 3"x4"), two transformers, four aluminum resistors, and a couple other items. I received a project box with pre-positioned mounting hole - none of which work for my components. Is there a typical method to create a 'base' for each of the components to mount on to? I've done simple home automation projects before, and these did not require the box/mounting, etc. I've spent three hours searching for a tutorial/video, to no avail. Again, apologies and any help is appreciated!!

Ok - idiot question here, but if someone has a guide to using project boxes and mounting components, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a project using a PCB audio amplifier (about 3"x4"), two transformers, four aluminum resistors, and a couple other items. I received a project box with pre-positioned mounting hole - none of which work for my components. Is there a typical method to create a 'base' for each of the components to mount on to? I've done simple home automation projects before, and these did not require the box/mounting, etc. I've spent three hours searching for a tutorial/video, to no avail. Again, apologies and any help is appreciated!!

Hi

I don't buy project boxes anymore. I 3D print my project boxes.
I use DesignSpark Mechanical 3D design software.

There is a learning curve but worth it in my own opinion.

One way to handle this is to make a base panel the fits inside the project box with mounting holes to match the mounting bosses/holes in the box and holes to fit all of your different pieces. Acrylic or aluminum can be used.

This lets you wire things up outside the box, then drop it into the box.

One way to handle this is to make a base panel the fits inside the project box with mounting holes to match the mounting bosses/holes in the box and holes to fit all of your different pieces. Acrylic or aluminum can be used.

This lets you wire things up outside the box, then drop it into the box.
Thanks, this seemed like a simple solution. I was surprised that I couldn't find any options to do this easily. Poor beginner's luck, but my medium sized box probably has over a dozen pre-fabbed mounting posts, so it's quite difficult to attach anything without such a base. So, I figured it is likely a common problem and has many available solutions - but that does not seem to be the case. It looks like I will need to purchase a piece of acrylic or aluminum and custom fit it to the box. With my available tools, that may be more of a project than my original project! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back