Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Led selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy42

Hi, I'd like to replace some LEDs on some 90's boards I'm repairing. I'm not sure what type of voltage or wattage they should be though. When I have replaced them modern ones seem super bright and light up everything like an Xmas tree.
I'd like to use them just as visual indicators as intended so a lot less bright. Does anyone have any recommendations or help?
20191125_105439.jpg

Are the LED's faulty?, if not why are you replacing them?.

Modern LED's are much brighter than older ones, so you would need to increase their series resistors (considerably) to match the brightness of the old ones.

Are the LED's faulty?, if not why are you replacing them?.

Modern LED's are much brighter than older ones, so you would need to increase their series resistors (considerably) to match the brightness of the old ones.

Hi, yeah some are often faulty. It's annoying because I have to lift them from other boards... as the modern ones I have look silly.
These are quite collectable and I'd ideally like to change the colour too just to add something to my repaired boards. I'll have a look at the schematic.
Thanks

Thanks I'll have a look... I thought they'd still be something on the market available that's suitable

No, why would they still make old low spec devices?.

It's simple enough to change the series resistors - and bear in mind, if you change the colours you need different resistors for different colours as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back