Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknician

Hi,

I am newbie have some issues and i hope you guyz can add to it and help me and other beginners.

I have a few question if you find them not feasible please forget me but the thing is that i need to ask them to get started. So please help if possible.

Q1. How to check voltage on a circuit board with a multimeter analog and catch faulty component on the same time?

Q2. How to check the continuity to identify the broken printed circuit board and what are the ways to troubleshoot this problem?

Q3. How can i best use my multimeter (analog) because this is what i have i dont have a digital meter and i want to utilize my meter to the best please understand my position .....thanks

Q4. What are the best ways while checking and fixing a circuit board in a casing which can help eliminate the problem of short circuit in the board?

these might seem logical to some and not to the other but as i said i am newbie and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please write them as you like but this can be a reference to the newbies as this type of text is not available online and things which are there are complicated for person like to me to grasp.

Thanks
best regds
teknician

Q1: I don't quite understand your question. I can tell you how to measure voltage, but what do you mean by "catch the faulty component at the same time"?

Q2: Most multimeters have a continuity checker as one of their functions. I can't speak for your meter... what make/model is it?

Q3: What make / model is your meter?

Q4: Are you asking how to check for short circuits on a board?

Brian

thanks

thanks for the help it is a basic analog meter just shows the basic values for ohms, voltage and AC

i can check the continuity but i dont know how to travel around the circuit i mean to say when i get a no power circuit and i start looking from the input point that is for adapter to be plugged in what is the way to go forward is there a principle to check circuits in general to find out the open/short circuit.

apart from that you can add to this post how to check the voltage.

thirdly i request was the precautions to avoid circuit getting spoiled as most of the new products have a compact casings which are complicated in design and removing them.

any other thing you would like to share with the beginners that can help to troubleshoot rightaway would be great.

thanks again for your reply hope i get more replies.

best regds
teknician

A meter isn't 'magic', you have to understand how the circuit is supposed to work, and then by making measurements you can try and find out why it's not working as it should.

There's no short cut, you have to know what you're doing.

i never said it is a magic and i never asked to show me one, i just simply ask as a beginner to help me with a simple guide but never mind if you are not interested in sharing your info

there are plenty of people willing to share it on this forum (no worries).......

best regds
mushtaq

The forums are no substitute for an education. They can help and usually do. If you're looking for a simple guide google will find one for you.

PS modern electronic devices are often not designed for repair / troubleshooting at the component level. Old devices like TVs, Radios, VCRs etc the products service manual will guide you.

On top of all that the right tools for the job is mandatory, a good meter is a must but you'll often find a good oscilloscope is a must. Digital electronics requires even higher tech and $$$$ tools.

What are you trying to repair?

thanks again

Well thanks for your advise but i would like to tell you one thing i am from south asia (pakistan) in particular. We in this region are utilizing old tools to get the new unrepairable things back to work those that people in europe and america dont think are repairable but ofcoarse they cost a lot, namely mobile phones, laptop computers, and other expensive/cheap and utility items.

i hope you understand that if you have determination you can get what you want.

as far as what i am looking is simple word advise rather then the function of registers or capacitors which i can get many books on.

this real word of advise cost nothing to one and help to other and that is all these forums are about.

i hope you understand and will be helpful for your futher understandings.

best regds
teknician

The problem is that Fault Diagnosis of Electronic Devices is a skill in it's own right. In my opinion it's a skill you can't fully teach, it's one you aquire with experience. In the first instance you must obtain a good understanding of Electronics which is 2-3 years in college. After that (and often as part of the Electronics course) you need to gain a good understanding of electronics test equipment.
Once you're at this stage you can be taught some basic fault finding techniques which, when used in conjunction with your knowledge of Electronics theory, can be used to start building your fault-finding experience.

It then takes years and years of trouble-shooting on a daily basis before you can realistically call yourself a good fault-finder. Some people are incapable of becoming a good fault-finder, it takes a certain type of person and a certain method of thinking to be able to do it well!

In short, there's no way we can give you a few simple instructions that will result in you being capable of finding faults on Electronic equipment. Especially not complex digital equipment like the kinds you're talking about.

We can give you an idea of how to do a visual inspection of a board which is the very first thing I and probably most fault-finders would do before they actually do any fault finding, but other than that you're limited to reading a list of common faults and symptoms for the product you're looking at. If you can describe a product and it's symptom we can sometimes offer some pointers on what to check, but even then you're going to need a good understanding of Electronics before you can apply the advice you're given.

Brian

People over here don't fix those cheap "unrepairable" electronic devices so finding the information about how to fix them is your biggest problem.

audioguru said:
People over here don't fix those cheap "unrepairable" electronic devices so finding the information about how to fix them is your biggest problem.

The main problem lies at the source. We'd like to repair them, but the manufacturer has decided they're not worth repairing and therefore does not supply parts. Often, they won't supply a service manual either. Sometimes they'll supply a manual but it comes out like they've pasted Japanese into a web translator and printed that off as the manual. You're then left needing an English translation of the English translation.

The Electronic servicing industry is in a right old mess.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back