Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

barcode scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

At work, I've been spending a lot of time dealing with these IGBT modules and heatsinks. I've been having to write down all the serial numbers and such to keep them straight, since they are being shipped to various buildings where they are either cleaned, tested, or scrapped. By each serial number, there is a barcode. Every module starts out with FMaabbbbbb where aa is the year date code and b's are the actual serial number.

How hard would it be to make a handheld scanner to decode the serial number? The scanner would need a lcd interface to review the barcodes scanned in, a keypad, and a way to dump the scanned info into the computer.

I have one of those "cue cat" spyware thingys that radio shack had, would I be able to use that? If it's going to be tons of work with an external ciruit and what not then I dont want to bother.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I know it would really impress the boss :wink: I wish I woulda thought of this sooner, I've been dealing with these things for 4 months now.

radio shack had them awhile back, you connected it to your computer through the keyboard connector. then in the rat shack catalog, there were special barcodes that you scanned and it would automatically connect to the internet and give you more information on the item that you scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back