Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BarCode reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherif Welsen

Hi every body,

I wanna a BAR CODE reader project, "directelly by using PC".

I hope you would help me by a detailed-free project or by providing helpfull links.

I wanna this as a project for my study.

Thanks in advance

I built a barcode reader at one point using an LED and phototransistor coupled with a 6811 I think. It was the "pen" type that you sweep across the bar code. It then measures the amount of light and dark areas and uses a look up table to translate each set of bars into a particular digit which it then output from its serial port. It worked ok, but not as reliable as the professional versions (though it could read forward or backward). I dont recall what types of codes it could read, but it was not a very difficult project (a few days maybe?).

I bet now it would be even easier. At the time, my micro did not have a prescaler for the input capture, so I had to handle overflow. Now the modern breed (pics/avrs) have the ability to scale the counter so handling overflow is either easier or not even neccessary.

Would you help with the project details please???

Well there are a couple of key questions

(1) What types of codes do you want to examine?

(2) Are you going to use a microcontroller circuit to perform the conversion

I can explain my design as it applies to your situation if you can give us some idea of what your end result is expected to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back