Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bar graph display driver trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello so i just found the best website www.allelectronics.com
and i got a bunch of new ICs the only one that i am having trouble with is the bar graph display driver. i cant find a good schematic for it and if i do it have something called a signal source i dont know what that is. do you guys have a schematic that i could use. or some help.

thank you.

david.

You hardly give us sufficient information to work with?

A signal source is just what it is: A 'circuit' generating an electrical signal. It could be your power line generating 50/60HZ, it could also be a free running 555...

thanks ericgibbs i found the schematic on page 2 on the LM 3914 mcd data sheet
i am a little confused the 0 to 5 volt signal source

davidbball13 said:
thanks ericgibbs i found the schematic on page 2 on the LM 3914 mcd data sheet
i am a little confused the 0 to 5 volt signal source

hi,
The Vdc input can be derived from a number of sources.

eg: temperature sensors, audio or as in the 'movie' a simple 10K variable resistor connected between +5V and 0V, with the wiper to the input.

Does this help.?

yes i will print it out and do it (the schematic) tonight
just a quick question what website do you guys get stuff like electronic parts it is hard because i am only like 12 so i dont have a credit card or anything and radio shack does not have that much i have been using www.allelectronics.com
what do you use.

davidbball13 said:
yes i will print it out and do it (the schematic) tonight
just a quick question what website do you guys get stuff like electronic parts it is hard because i am only like 12 so i dont have a credit card or anything and radio shack does not have that much i have been using www.allelectronics.com
what do you use.

Whats your location.?

I would suggest you just put your country name in your profile.:)
Never publish your email address on a forum or give your date of birth..

ericgibbs said:
hi,
The Vdc input can be derived from a number of sources.

eg: temperature sensors, audio or as in the 'movie' a simple 10K variable resistor connected between +5V and 0V, with the wiper to the input.

Does this help.?
what is the wiper

I am only like 50 years older than you, little kid.

Ask your mommy or daddy to buy parts online for you from Digikey or Newark. If you order before 8:00PM then it is delivered the next morning unless you live on Mars.

davidbball13 said:
what is the wiper

A variable resistor [potentiometer] has 3 connections.

For your project the two outer connections are connected as follows.
One to the +5V line and the other to the 0V line, the centre connection [the wiper or slider] goes to the LM3914 Vsource input.

So as you turn the pot the voltage on the wiper will vary.

Look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_resistor

Do you follow .?

hey cmon dont bring my mom and dad into this i feel like i am doing good now i install linux on computers for friends i work at a computer store making 8.95 a hour. i have made a 275mw red laser with a regulated power supply (LM317) and a 50mw blu laser also with the LM 317. i have built a quad core computer.

really shipping is that quick how much is it.

davidbball13 said:
hey cmon dont bring my mom and dad into this i feel like i am doing good now i install linux on computers for friends i work at a computer store making 8.95 a hour. i have made a 275mw red laser with a regulated power supply (LM317) and a 50mw blu laser also with the LM 317. i have built a quad core computer.

really shipping is that quick how much is it.

hi David,
Dont let anyone bug you about your age.!

This is a technical forum, we will help if we can, just give us as much detail as you can so that we can advise you correctly.

Nice one with the laser projects.!:)

Hey little kid,
If you worry about a few dollars to ship parts to you then you can't afford anything.

I use Digikey and Mouser, but they all need credit cards. It sucks to not have a credit card (even if you do have a job!). Before 18, I had a job and all the money in the world and nothing to spend it on because I couldn't order anything online without a credit card (until I turned 18).

audioguru said:
Hey little kid,
If you worry about a few dollars to ship parts to you then you can't afford anything.

WHY are you deliberately trying to ridicule and offend this youngster.?:mad:

He has asked a fair question.

I am still waiting for a technical question from the little kid.
I thought this used to be an electronics technical forum.

audioguru said:
I am still waiting for a technical question from the little kid.
I thought this used to be an electronics technical forum.

I also thought this was supposed to be a technical forum not a platform for trying to ridicule the more vunerable members of the forum.

These 'little kids' are our future engineers and they deserve our help and respect.

BTW, the OP's name is David.

ericgibbs said:
I also thought this was supposed to be a technical forum not a platform for trying to ridicule the more vunerable members of the forum.

These 'little kids' are our future engineers and they deserve our help and respect.

BTW, the OP's name is David.
so you guys like digikey mouser and newark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back