Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bar graph display driver trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
davidbball13 said:
so you guys like digikey mouser and newark

hi David,
If your budget is tight, do what others do, check out dumpsters, remove any bits that my be re-usable.
Lots of Laser diodes in old PC DVD drives, stepper motors. Old printers have a couple of decent stepper motors.... etc

Talk to your local TV repair shops, they sometimes have lotsa bits they want get rid of.:)

ericgibbs said:
Talk to your local TV repair shops, they sometimes have lotsa bits they want get rid of.:)

You should be aware Eric of the WEEE Directive - which now means that TV repair shops have to dispose of such items via registered waste disposal channels, with a full audit trail.

It's still worth asking, but don't be upset if they can't help you.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You should be aware Eric of the WEEE Directive - which now means that TV repair shops have to dispose of such items via registered waste disposal channels, with a full audit trail.

It's still worth asking, but don't be upset if they can't help you.

Hi,
Thanks for the update.
Am I the only one who's beginning to think we are getting a Nanny state.

Not sure if they have something similar in the States, [OP in New York], perhaps someone from the colonies could tell us...;)

Off topic:
Seen your recent missives ref schools.. I agree.
But
Have you seen whats happened regarding the number of Doctors in training..?:eek:

ericgibbs said:
Am I the only one who's beginning to think we are getting a Nanny state.

Not at all, it's getting completely stupid!.

The Health & Safety rubbish is getting completely out of control!.

A friend of mine works as a builder, he was on a big site, and the Health and Safety officers asked him to put up a Health & Safety sign. So he got some wood, he got his saw, and he was just about to start sawing when they stopped him - they told him he had to complete a "Health & Safety assessment", in writing, before he could saw a piece of wood!.

My wife works as a 'Teaching Assistant" in a reception class (4 to 5 year olds, first year in school), and she has a BTEC Nursery Nurse qualification. Currently they have a lady in on 'work experience', she's doing an NVQ as a "Teaching Assistant", and the assessor was coming out to 'observe her' for her NVQ.

This is no joke - the assessor wanted to see her:

1) Put out pencil pots for the kids.

2) Put out papers for the kids (told she can't do that, the kids do it themselves).

3) Turn the overhead projector ON and OFF.

4) Prevent a child putting it's fingers in a mains socket (children don't do that anyway, and the sockets are too high for them to reach).

5) Examine a childs private records (told no way, neither the student or the assessor are allowed to see such information - Data Protection act).

For those outside the UK, NVQ's are commonly known as "Not Very Quality" :D

Nigel,

Saw this while overseas:
You may find it amusing.

**broken link removed**

yeah i have gotten a lot of old parts from things that i have taken apart. i found an old radio and i got so many parts. but the thing is i can get any ICs. i see a lot of ICs when i take things apart but i can desolder them.
i really want a bigger breadboard what do you recommend i have a standard breadboard about 6in. long one bus 2 power strips i just need somthing bigger i find my self having to end projects because i want to start another small project.

davidbball13 said:
yeah i have gotten a lot of old parts from things that i have taken apart. i found an old radio and i got so many parts. but the thing is i can get any ICs. i see a lot of ICs when i take things apart but i can desolder them.
i really want a bigger breadboard what do you recommend i have a standard breadboard about 6in. long one bus 2 power strips i just need somthing bigger i find my self having to end projects because i want to start another small project.

Hi,
Look at this link:
**broken link removed**

You can get smaller cheaper versions.
The useful feature of these types of breadboard is that you can keep re-using your components many times as you so different projects, no soldering.

How have you been trying to get ic's out of old pcb's.?

ericgibbs said:
These 'little kids' are our future engineers and they deserve our help and respect.
Ah.... engineer i dont know about that the courses in school are so dumb you have to be in 12th grade to get in a PCB making class and over a whole semester all you do is put a 555 on a home made PCB woopty doo i already do that and i am in eighth grade. plus i dont even have good grades i just got my report card :( not really i guess i am on 80 student but i dont know if i want to do electronics or computer things i already work at a computer store

ericgibbs said:
Hi,

How have you been trying to get ic's out of old pcb's.?

try to desolder each pin :confused: i was going to get a solder sucker but i needed new solder tips ones that arnt chisel ones that mine came with

davidbball13 said:
Ah.... engineer i dont know about that the courses in school are so dumb you have to be in 12th grade to get in a PCB making class and over a whole semester all you do is put a 555 on a home made PCB woopty doo i already do that and i am in eighth grade. plus i dont even have good grades i just got my report card :( not really i guess i am on 80 student but i dont know if i want to do electronics or computer things i already work at a computer store

Doing the laser projects you have mentioned and the interest you are showing for a 12yr old in electronics, shows you have potential.. its really your call.!:)

yeah its cool bra. on the site you can really see what the boards like. i want to do the bar graph schematic but i dont hvae time i have swim team 3 hour practouses SUCK 13000 yards of hell

12 and into computers? Also, are you violating state labor laws?
In my area, at your age you cannot work in retail, handle currency or merchandise, and must have parental consent. Your hours and pay rate are regulated. I live in western Canada.

Kids work hard in many countries. Child slave labour.
I heard on the news that a 9 years old kid was employed as a murderer in Afganistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back