Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ballast / Igniter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

O B 1 KNooB

Hello, I hope you can help me. I recently (2 months ago) bought a 70w High Pressure Sodium light for my home. It stopped working. I initially thought it was the bulb and went to my Home Depot and purchased another 70w bulb. I tried the new bulb and the light still did not work. I believe the problem may be the Ballast or the Igniter. My question is: How do I know which needs to be replaced?
I would just normally return the light to Home Depot - but, without my receipt and box that it came in I am stuck with it. Do you have any suggestions?

I took voltage readings and have 118v coming out of my wall / extension cord
I have 18v (AC) coming from the Blue Ballast wire and the Red Igniter wire.
I also have 18v (AC) coming from the Red Ballast wire to the Red Igniter wire.

The Blue Igniter wire is the only one that seems to have no voltage. Is this normal?
Is the 18v from the ballast/ igniter normal?

Here is the problem (I think) - When I make up the final splice (Red Igniter wire to the Red Ballast wire & Blue Ballast wire to the Blue Igniter wire). I stick my meter on the two splices and they read NO voltage. However, I can feel the voltage in my finger tip when I touch it. I thought my meter was bad - but I tested the line voltage and other voltages around the house and the meter works fine. Why does that connection read Zero voltage when I can feel it in my finger tips? Do you know whether the problem lies in my igniter or Ballast?

The lamp worked fine for aprox. 2 months. Then after one night cycle last weekend the light did not come back on.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back