Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BAD night.. 16F628A weak pullups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I dropped an 8 position switch on a board (port B), figured no pull-ups as I saw weak pullups.

Weak pull-ups are for output only (as I now read). I have all the pins grounded on the other side of the switch.. Any quick fix other than soldering resistors to 8 pins.

Killed my ICD2 as well. Why the topic is bad night. I am back to the parallel port programmer now.

mramos1 said:
I dropped an 8 position switch on a board (port B), figured no pull-ups as I saw weak pullups.

Weak pull-ups are for output only (as I now read). I have all the pins grounded on the other side of the switch.. Any quick fix other than soldering resistors to 8 pins.

Killed my ICD2 as well. Why the topic is bad night. I am back to the parallel port programmer now.
Pretty hard to kill the Inchworm, just drop in a new 16F877A.

The pullups on PORTB are for input only, the Firefly uses them for it's switches and they work fine. Sounds like you drove the wee PICs I/O to gnd.

https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/31009a.pdf I/O ports

The ICD2 should be real hard to kill, assuming you're not using the mclr, PGC & PGD for anything except the ICD2.

Attachments

• pullups.gif
    pullups.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Thanks Bill and justDIY..

I just soldered in some 1/8th watt 10K pullups for now.

I wanted to use the weak pullups on port B (input wise). But the PIC never saw high when I flipped the switches to open. I pulled the PDF from microchip and it made it look like they were for output only.. I was in a rush and did not want to read, posted here.. And went to solder them in.

But I would like to use them on the pic chip in the future (for input). If they work for input. Will read it tomorrow as it is late.

Bill. I had a project where I received a USB2 ICD2 and an USB1 ICD2 (Olimex the USB1 is called). The USB2 was FAST as heck and very small so I was using it (was going to make it my laptop programmer). I used it tonight and it just stopped working. I gave my inchworm to my Grandfather this last weekend, he drove out to see me and the grandkids. And he is 5 hours away. He is a PCB guy and I want to get him into the PICS (he is retired and looking to have fun)..

I blew the USB2 ICD2 (somehow, Windows just stopped talking to it), or the driver seemed to get wacked out. So I dug in the closet for the USB1 unit. It did not work. Well it sort of worked but MPLABS said see ICD2 status TAB. I looked for that, could not find it.. Gave up.

So I pulled out a parallel P16PRO40 and finished (like the old days). It is like I am back at square one. But the project is done, blood presure is up..

After I finished I realize, the inchworm (though slower, it is serial) would have worked as it has no "&*!@%" USB interface. I will send a USB one to GrandDad and get the inchworm back. What a pain tonight was.

AND I have extra 877A's, the schematics to it and it is not USB.. What was I thinking... GrandDad wanted the firefly too, but the middle son would not part with it :)

Looks like speed kills and it almost got me tonight..
I hate USB..

If you need to use your ICD1, you will have to downgrade to MPLAB 5.7. That is the last version that supported the ICD1.

phalanx said:
If you need to use your ICD1, you will have to downgrade to MPLAB 5.7. That is the last version that supported the ICD1.

My backup might work, I get Failed Selftest, I think it might require power on the target. Will check it tonight.. They are all ICD2 so should be OK on the firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back