Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bad news (School Cuts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who are most important to society are considered to be the least important. Electrical Engineers are low on the list of importance to the Human race.

Salgat said:
The people who are most important to society are considered to be the least important. Electrical Engineers are low on the list of importance to the Human race.

What about Garbage men, at least here they are seen as very important and are very important in both society and to the human race.

43617373 said:
What about Garbage men, at least here they are seen as very important and are very important in both society and to the human race.

I guess it's one of those things where you only notice it when it stops working...like your heart, lungs, eyes or kindneys. I guess that means they're doing their job right?

dknguyen said:
I guess it's one of those things where you only notice it when it stops working...like your heart, lungs, eyes or kindneys. I guess that means they're doing their job right?

well yeah. everyone does have a purpose. from the barrista at starbucks to the garabge man that picks up the maggot infested trash bin, to the firemen who play xbox 360 all day to the noble Rf engineer that works on an antenna system that tracks incoming aircraft to the doctor that milks people out of their insurance premiums.

music, history and literature, imho had nothing to do with my success. only math and science did and the most important of all, the lord jesus christ. so if you want music, then we should bring christianity back to schools. otherwise away with music! and thats comin from a degreed Purdue RF engineer!

quixotron said:
music, history and literature, imho had nothing to do with my success. only math and science did and the most important of all, the lord jesus christ. so if you want music, then we should bring christianity back to schools. otherwise away with music! and thats comin from a degreed Purdue RF engineer!

I don't think religion has any place in schools. From my own experience I can tell, that the religion oriented guys were always the worst ones. I regard religion the same as politics, which currently is not though in schools (besides political oriented collages ofcourse).

Jay.

just saw the thread about sports and robotics..... you shouldn't be comparing both of them. I take part in robotics and considered brainy chap , which i am not, and i also play sports as well, i have played nationals in cricket. so dont mix up both of them, both are necessary.. and i have no funding for robotics.. i carry it on my own money.

Jay.slovak said:
I don't think religion has any place in schools. From my own experience I can tell, that the religion oriented guys were always the worst ones. I regard religion the same as politics, which currently is not though in schools (besides political oriented collages ofcourse).

Jay.

well i dont think music belongs in school. save as an extracurricular activity. our kids in america need basic math and science skills to land a decent job.

quixotron said:
well i dont think music belongs in school. save as an extracurricular activity. our kids in america need basic math and science skills to land a decent job.
Ouch!

What ever happened to the notion of a rounded education. What about the kids that have talent for music but not math.

What we need are more unemployed engineers. :)

I do not disagree that we need better math and science. You do not have to cut music to get them. Too much money is spent on sports IMHO. The bit about sports making money does not extend to the high school level.

3v0 said:
Ouch!

What ever happened to the notion of a rounded education. What about the kids that have talent for music but not math.

What we need are more unemployed engineers. :)

I do not disagree that we need better math and science. You do not have to cut music to get them. Too much money is spent on sports IMHO. The bit about sports making money does not extend to the high school level.

i never meant to eliminte music nor to discourage "rounded" education. i believe though, it should be an extracurricualr activity. something voluntary. as for sports that too. its alreay extra-curricular. so i have no problem with that.

For me it's not music was mandatory during elementary (the only time it was mandatory). It's that they bothced it! That's my beef. If you do it, do it right! It's not like gym or sports where if you do it wrong there are still health benefits. It just turns you away from it forever!

Plus you didn't realy learn anything. A theory that just came to me is that maybe it's mandatory in elementary and no time later is that because in elementary, everyone is guaranteed to be able to have a singing voice which is cheap. Later on it's optional because most people seem to lose their ability to sing when they get older, and then it starts to cost money because you need instruments.

Last edited:
Music and sports should both be encouraged because if a child is good at both of them, the chances are they'll do well at school in general. Music is supposed to help build the brain and sports will ensure they make friends and will be happy.

Unfortunately I was hopeless at all sports and didn't really do much music but I did alright in the end.

Hero999 said:
Music and sports should both be encouraged because if a child is good at both of them, the chances are they'll do well at school in general. Music is supposed to help build the brain and sports will ensure they make friends and will be happy.

Unfortunately I was hopeless at all sports and didn't really do much music but I did alright in the end.

you have documents to support this and expert testimony right? SIR, with all due respect i disagree. the majority of our students can't hold jobs least of all be hired for one because they lack basic algebra and geometry skills.

we used to have spelling bees in middle school. #$%^ i was the city champion in 91-92. however, universities dont even care about the essay part on the gre and vocabulary section. but they did stress the mathematics/quantitative part of the gre.

also, your last statement contradicts your first. but anyways i have said my peace. good day sir!

Last edited:
Not all faculties stress mathematics. Writing skills seem to be much more neglected and they are needed regardless of the faculty you are in, unlike math. Probably because there is "right" and "wrong" in math, but not in English. At least not in a way where the hammer comes down on you when you write properly.

I hate Spelling Bs for that very reason. What's the point of being able to spell a bunch of strange words that you're never going to use if you can't write? The emphasis is all wrong.

Last edited:
3v0 said:
Writting skills are important part of any good education. The higher you go in hi tech the more writting you seem to do. There is no one right way to write, but bad is bad.
U aer stoopid` wirtn iz nt impourtnt :rolleyes:

As for sports vs science, You cannot guarantee anything with sports, as with Science you can depend on it.

There is no one right way to write...
That's true, but I was surprised at how many conventions there are for professional writers, depending on the context of their work. I'm sure the writers' editors have a very specific notion of the the "right way" for them. The rest of us tend to learn good writing by a sort of osmosis by reading the work of the best (ideally). The pros have to study, and adapt, to conventions of style and form.

We write like we read.

I was thinking about learning via osmosis while I wrote the previous post. To be sure the objectives of a manual writer have little in common to someone writing fiction or news copy... the globbly gook in contracts.

Hank Fletcher said:
That's true, but I was surprised at how many conventions there are for professional writers, depending on the context of their work. I'm sure the writers' editors have a very specific notion of the the "right way" for them. The rest of us tend to learn good writing by a sort of osmosis by reading the work of the best (ideally). The pros have to study, and adapt, to conventions of style and form.

How about army-speak? I was just sent notice to this (typically written) job posting:
**broken link removed**

7. APPLICATION TO BE FWD BY MSG TO CFLRS SAINT JEAN INFO CDA HQ
KINGSTON//SO RES// AND CFLDC HQ. APPLICATION MSG TO DETAIL THE FOL:

Last edited:
7. APPLICATION TO BE FWD BY MSG TO CFLRS SAINT JEAN INFO CDA HQ
KINGSTON//SO RES// AND CFLDC HQ. APPLICATION MSG TO DETAIL THE FOL:

Pure gibberish to the general population, but presumably perfectly clear to the intended audience.

JimB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back