Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Back emf protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetman12003

I have a 30 volt peak to peak function generator powering a large experimental motor coil with its square wave output. 0 - to 30 volts as the max the generator can put out. I am working with variable hi frequencys also.

So far I have been lucky and have not damaged the function generator output with back EMF voltage spikes coming out of the coil its powering. The generator is the sole power source right now.

Stating all the above -- Does anyone have or know of a circuit that will prevent back EMF from damaging the output of the generator yet allow the generator to keep supplying voltage to the coil at the same time?

I need a block diagram schematic with all parts called out to construct that device. Is this possible??

If so please send that info direct to me at: 65t@comcast.net

Thanks, Tom

How about clamp diodes?

Last edited:
Clamp diodes are not exactly rocket science, I was a little surprised when you said draw out a schematic. You simply put a diode across the coil in the reverse direction of the current flow. When the pulse generator turns off the voltage in the coil will reverse and flow through the diode back into the coil in an endless loop until it disipates via heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back