Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic sliding bathroom door in aluminium

Status
Not open for further replies.
/me slides the topic on track again

The switch to the door is not the problem I guess, I can also use a touch/movement sensor located in the wall. problem for me will be to figure out the motor control bit, think I will start a "Help! Newbie wants to learn PIC programming" topic in the microcontroller section.

I came across www.hobbyengineering.com and it seems like they have almost everything I need, there is good selection of small geared DC motors that may do the trick for opening/closing. I was planning on ataching a small rubber wheel to the motor and let this drive the door on the upper edge.

If someone can mention some things that are a "must" to have before starting a project like this that would be nice, all I have is a voltmeter and soldering iron.

Exo said:
Same over here, if a criminal enters your house you are only allowed to defend yourself (knock him KO) if he first knocks you out...

Yes, same in the UK - the law seems to be to protect criminals and not the general public :cry:

As a martial arts instructor I teach to take them out first, then worry about the consequences - it's a lot easier to argue in court than to argue from a slab in the morgue!. Also, once you've overcome them, DON'T RING THE POLICE! - take the unconscious body somewhere, break a few bones, and dump it - make sure you know the criminals name and address, and make sure he knows you know!.

Hi,
cool capacitive sensors/switches You can find here: **broken link removed**
With infrared movement detectors You wouldn't need to touch anything to open the door. Real 'enterprise'-feeling...
regards
joachim

I have seen a door of this type using a PIR sensor , it was at the "Millenium" restaurant/bar in Cheltenham (England).
Sadly now closed, this sci-fi themed establishment
was to far ahead of its time it seems. The door by the way worked beutifully, triggering at about 18" to 24" on average.
In Las Vegas (USA) there can be found Quark's Bar from Deep Space 9
wether or not they have similiar trek type sliding doors I cannot say, perhaps one of our American friends or an Alien vistor to the place will know.

hey, sounds cool, but i was thinking... if you really want to go sci-fi here you may want to think about some sort of sensor pad that if you wave your hand in front of, triggers the mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back