Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic Gate Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacM

I manage a 32.5 acre retirement community in El Paso. Since taking over management I have added a back road and gate. Currently the gate is being manually opened at daylight and closed at dark.

I am looking to automate the gate but don't want to install a card system or key pad because they would set in the middle of the road and obstruct bringing in and taking out 80 foot mobile homes.

I have been kicking around the idea of using a photo cell to do the opening and closing by day or night but then during the night I want to allow resident traffic.

One of my thoughts is to use either beepers like for car locks (about $20.00 a pop) or a small laser pen light.

The system must also include saftey features so that the gate once open doesn't close on a person or vehicle.

Any suggestions. It is a two lane roadway 20 feet in diameter with dual 10 foot gates that will roll back.

Thanks.

well if you place the photocell on the gate dont you think the headlights would open it? Or do you want it secure?

e,

I actually considered that but it would mean any body could rive up with head lights or even a flashlight and get in. They want some security. At the moment I am favoring the car lock beepers but then I thought the laser might be enough security.

Haven't decided.

Thanks.

Howdy MacM,

For vehicles or persons leaving the compound, the gates could be activated by a passive infra red (PIR) sensor. Though would recomend a dual technology type using microwaves as these are better for detecting vehicles in motion. A second device watching the immediate area of the gate would provide the safety feature you require.

Controlled entry into the site using personal transmitters is normallay cost prohibitive but modern culture offers a posibble loophole....

What's cell-phone reception like at the gates location?
No fancy electronics just enough to detect the "ringing" of an old cheap cell-phone (Pre paid tariff) wired into the gate motor controller circuit.
Call charges only begin when the recipient anwers but in this case one simply lets the phone ring a couple of times, the gates open up and the person wanting to get in, simply terminates the call.

Cell Phone

tanis,

The cell phone is a novel idea. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back