Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auto-darkening welding mask - got wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mab2

Hi,

As the title says my autodarkening welding mask got wet and no longer works. I don't know how long it was wet for (hours - couple of days).

I've tried to dry it out and when it still didn't work I opened it up to help any residual moisture dry out but it seems dry, and the two lithium cells (CR2430) are still showing 2.94v and 3.02v. NB there's also a solar panel under the circuitboard and cells.

This is a long shot perhaps - but any suggestions as to how diagnose it's problems? - how to get it working ? - maybe some WD40 in the switches? - or do I just have to buy a new one?
DSCF0402.JPG
DSCF0403.JPG

thanks
m

The first thing I would do is check the batteries and contacts for corrosion. A quick, gentle clean with a fine wire brush might clean off any corrosion. For that matter, I would check for corrosion on other parts of the board as well. It could be that one of the chips has been shorted out and destroyed, in which case a repair would be very difficult. I guess if there's no corrosion or you clean it off and it still doesn't work, you may just have to bite the bullet and get a new one.

Good luck, hope you can get it fixed!

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt,

there was a little dry white deposit on one lithium cell and one corner of the circuit board which I carefully removed with the wooden end of a matchstick - there seems to be little actual corrosion and the battery voltage is present on the circuitboard.

I was hoping that as the batteries are still showing a good voltage that nothing had been shorted to the point of destruction - but it still doesn't work.

for info: the 'wet' was heavy condensation under the roof of the workshop which dripped off the beam into the mask, so it would've been fairly pure water - at least before it soaked through the wooden beam.

A new one isn't terribly expensive but I just hate to throw it out without trying to fix it first - it's such a waste.

thanks
m

Try srcubbing both sides of the PCB using Iso Propyl Alcohol and a medium soft brush.
Try cleaning the switches, operate them several times, having given them s squire of switch cleaner (not WD40).

JimB

thanks for the replies - I wonder where to get IPA now... trouble is, by the time i've bought IPA & switch cleaner I'm half way to the cost of a new mask. :rolleyes:

The LCD doesn't like water.

umm.. I'm not sure the water got into the LCD - as far as I could tell it was just one lithium cell and a portion of the pcb - would there be any visual signs of water damage to the LCD if it had? (other than it not working of course).

I wonder if I applied a couple of volts to the lcd wires for a moment if that would verify it's function without frying the driver cct?

Fixed! :)

thought i'd trace the power from the lithium cells to see if there might be some kind of fuse or something to cut out when shorted- didn't find any such thing but I did discover that the pcb feedthroughs on the B+ seemed to be open circuit - hence the voltage difference between the two cells, and there was no supply to one of the ic's (HCF4052 - bottom right in the pics).

soldered in a couple of patch wires and hey presto - it works. :happy:

I'm guessing that the feedthroughs are not coated in the green lacquer and so more susceptible to corrosion? (and maybe some galvanic effect of B+?) - dunno, but it's working now and that's what matters.

thanks for the suggestions folks - sometimes just having other peoples thoughts, ideas & opinions is enough to keep you from giving up on an impossible-seeming task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back